Burns brace in Duns’ first league victory

DUNS 4, PEEBLES 1Despite the fact that Peebles knocked five goal past Duns in a League Cup match earlier in the season Duns comfortably swept them aside in Saturday’s league match to secure their first league victory of the season.

By Keith Hamblin
Tuesday, 8th October 2013, 2:59 pm

The first half goals put the match beyond doubt and although Peebles pulled one back in the second half Duns were always in control.

The Dingers had to withstand early pressure but soon settled and started to create chances themselves.

James Brydon went close before he eventually did open the scoring, Michael Robinson being the provider. From an almost identical situation Robinson again showed great awareness to square the ball across the six yard line but this time it was Gary Renton who slotted the ball home.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Duns were being caught offside regularly but after 35 minutes Steven Burns managed to spring the trap and chip the Peebles ‘keeper to put the home side 3-0 up.

Burns had two further chances to increase the lead, one was a long range chip that went over the bar and the other was a close range effort that hit the side netting.

The visitors started the second half as they had done the first, on the front foot but Duns always looked as if they could score again.

However, a slack pass in midfield eventually led to Rovers pulling a goal back.

Duns should have increased their lead but were denied by a string of fine saves from the Peebles keeper. Firstly he brilliantly blocked a fierce Robinson drive, then somehow he got a hand to Keiran Lee’s close range shot and also blocked a goalbound effort from Chris Flockhart.

At the other end Duns keepr Lumsden also had to be on his toes brining off a fine save to deny the Peebles striker from close range.

The visitors were reduced to ten men after having a player red carded for what appeared to be abusive language.

Steven Burns, looking sharp after his early season injury problems added a fourth goal for Duns when, after good work again by Robinson and Brydon, he netted with a superbly placed chip which beat not only the ‘keeper but two defenders as well. Peebles never gave up and Duns ‘keeper Scott Lumsden was forced to pull off a string of fine saves to prevent further scoring.

All in all a deserved victory which came as no surprise to anyone who had witnessed the last two performances.

Duns: S. Lumsden, M. Weatherburn, A. Renton, G. Renton, S. Dixon, S. MacGregor, S. Burns (C. Falconer), K. Lee, M. Robinson, J. Brydon, G. Waddell (J. Ainslie).