Biggest influx of young hogs ever

The young buzzard was not at all pleased to be caught up and put in a carrier prior to his release.
The young buzzard was not at all pleased to be caught up and put in a carrier prior to his release.

We managed to release the young buzzard this week meaning that the Big Aviary is now empty and we can give it a good clean.

When birds are in the Big Aviary they can be tricky to catch and the buzzard was not at all pleased to be caught up and put in a carrier.

We are hoping that if all goes well with the barn owl that has pins in her wing she will be able to move to the Big Aviary providing the operation was a success. She has to stay in her small cage for another week and is not happy about it at all.

We have had the biggest influx of very young hedgehogs we have ever known at this time of year. If you see a hedgehog out during the day it usually means there is something wrong. They should not be out hunting till dusk.

We are always happy to take in any hedgehog found out during the day. If you cannot bring it in straight away there are a couple of things you can do to help the animal. Put the hog into a cardboard box lined with newspaper. The most important thing is to give them warmth. They really need direct heat so a hot water bottle covered with a towel with another one over the top is perfect, but a lemonade bottle filled with warm water and covered in a sock is a good substitute.

If they are kept overnight a bowl of dog or cat food (not fishy varieties) and a dish of water should be offered. Get them in to us as soon as possible.

We took in a little hog today found on a golf course. It has 10 pussy wounds on her little body. She only weighs 165 grams. She was also covered in fly eggs which is not a good sign. We cleaned her wounds and removed the fly eggs (thank goodness there were no maggots) and got the vet to prescribe a dose of antibiotic. The poor little thing will have to have the wounds treated on a daily basis.

The smallest hog we have in weighs just 117 grams and we have 17 others in the recovery room at the moment.

We also took in a young wood pigeon which had fallen from its nest. Wood pigeons tend to cross two sticks across a tree branch and balance their eggs on it. The trouble is many of the young birds just fall through the bottom. It still needs hand feeding and suffered a graze or two on its fall of about 30 feet.

The family that found it brought it all the way up from Whitley Bay which was easier they said than trying to climb the tree to return it to its nest.

Today another young bird came in this time just from Prior. It was found sitting in the road. This was a collared dove. It also needs hand feeding. Hopefully this will be the last of the year’s youngsters.

We have found our new CCTV very useful. We are able to see who is on the pond (it is always the cygnet that needs medicating) and if there is any bullying. It is easy for us to check on all the pens and aviaries to see what is happening. It is very nearly completed and we have a big thank you to say to Jim for putting it all in.