Two goal Curries spice up Rangers’ play-off bid

Elgin City 1

Gunn 70

Berwick Rangers 2

L Currie 53, P Currie 84

by Louise Shaw

at Boroughbriggs

Berwick Rangers kept their play off ambitions alive with a 2-1 victory over Elgin City which made the 16 hour round trip worthwhile. After enduring a difficult first forty-five the Wee Rangers got the bit between their teeth in the second half and clinched the three points thanks to goals from Lee and Paul Currie.

After the game manager Jimmy Crease admitted that his side had rode their luck but was clearly delighted to have moved to within three points of 4th place, opening up a four point gap over Elgin in the process.

He said, “I think that Elgin will feel a bit hard done by. They had a lot of possession and at half time I thought we were a bit fortunate to get in 0-0. In the second half we came a bit more into the game and we got a good goal and we probably should have scored a couple more before they got the equaliser

“We just kept battling away and got the result in the end and I am delighted about that. We’ve been on the bus since 12 o’clock this morning and we won’t get back until 3 or 4 o’clock tomorrow morning. It’s a long journey but winning makes it a wee bit easier going back down the road.”

“Elgin showed tonight they have a lot of good players, a lot of pace about their team but I thought we coped with it quite well. On the whole we are delighted with the result which is the most important thing.”

The home team had started the game on the front foot and looked like the only team likely to score during the opening forty-five. Ian McCaldon was tested with barely a minute on the clock when a good ball in from Jason Crooks to Craig Gunn saw the striker shoot right footed from 18 yards, but it was pushed around the post by the Berwick number 1.

On the 6th minute a long ball from David Niven found David Gormley who turned away from his man and struck a right footed shot from the edge of the area which curled just post the post.

Ross Jack’s side were on top and it took all of 35 minutes for Berwick to register a shot on target. The 25 yard effort from Lee Currie was comfortably taken by Peter Donnelly as the half ended all square.

However Elgin were to feel the sting of the Curries in the second half. With 53 minutes on the clock a long ball out of defence was collected by Lee Currie and he set himself before curling a low shot around Donnelly and into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Berwick could have doubled their lead soon after when Darren Gribben rounded Peter Donnelly but was forced wide and his shot from a tight angle somehow struck the far post and came back out to the frustration the number 9.

Twenty minutes from time Elgin levelled. A Brian Cameron shot was to hot for McCaldon to handle and Craig Gunn pounced to fire home from close range. The momentum could have swung back to the home team but Berwick dug in and ultimately came out on top.

Six minutes from time a shot from Paul Currie was parried by Donnelly back to the midfielder who fired home at the second attempt to ensure a crucial three points headed back over the border in the wee small hours.

Elgin City: Donnelly, Inglis, Niven, Dempsie (Wilson, 88), Duff, Crooks (Lawrie, 67), Gunn, O’Donoghue, Cameron, Nicolson, Gormley (Frizzel, 57). Subs not used: Calder, Edward.

Berwick Rangers: McCaldon, Notman, Callaghan, McLean, Ewart, L.Currie, Greenhill, P. Currie, Gribben (Little, 74), Gray (Brazil,74), Grant. Subs not used: Peat, Cowan, Ponton.

Referee: Frank McDermott

Attendance: 412