Ten-man Duns battle to penalty shoot-out victory

Duns 3

Ormiston 3

(After extra time - Duns won 5-4 on pens)

Duns progressed to the second round of the South Challenge cup after an action packed match against Ormiston.

The Dingers started brightly and had a couple of strong penalty shouts but the referee waved play on. Duns did break the deadlock after 20 minutes when Dez Chisholm sent Bruce Chisholm though on goal. Bruce spotted the keeper rushing off his line and coolly lifted the ball over the keeper and into the net.

Within five minutes Ormiston drew level after they were awarded a soft penalty which saw Douglas Brydon receive a yellow card. The Ormiston right back stepped up to slot the ball home.

Within minutes Duns were then dealt a huge blown when Douglas Brydon received his marching orders for a second yellow following a challenge just outside the box.

Right on half time Bruce Chisholm was through on goal but was brought down by the last man but the Ormiston centre half was only given a yellow card.

Duns started the second half well trying to play the ball as much as they could in the windy conditions, and almost regained the lead when James Brydon sent Steven Burns through but his effort was saved by the feet of the visiting keeper. The keeper then again denied James Brydon who shot from just inside the box.

With 10 minutes left Duns thought they had scored the winner when James Brydon picked out Bruce Chisholm who fired past the keeper for his second of the afternoon but with just minutes left Ormiston levelled again to take the game into extra time.

This was to prove a huge fitness test playing 90 minutes with 10 men but Duns never showed any signs of tailing off and took the game to the visitors once again. They took the lead for the third time in the match when Mark Weatherburn cut the ball back to Michael Stewart, who’s first time cross was fumbled by the keeper and fell kindly to the in rushing Dez Chisholm to prod home from close range. Again the lead was short lived when Ormiston netted from 25 yards out.

The tie went to penalties with Duns coming out on top 5-4. Duns penalty scorers were G. Waddell, G. Renton, J. Brydon, A. Douglas and D. Chisholm.