Team Joe come from behind to seal Cup win

The Stanx Cup Final, Berwick select vs Duns. Tussle in midfiled.
The Stanx Cup Final, Berwick select vs Duns. Tussle in midfiled.

Team Joe 3

Kacky’s Select 1

The Stanx Cup Final, Berwick select vs Duns. Duns celebrate.

The Stanx Cup Final, Berwick select vs Duns. Duns celebrate.

TEAM Joe travelled to the Stanks for the Charities Cup final at the weekend to face a well prepared Kacky’s Select side who had a number of players playing at East of Scotland level.

The Duns lads welcomed Andrew Douglas back from suspension for the game and this proved to be crucial as he controlled the centre of midfield during the opening period.

But it was Kacky’s Select who got themselves in front when Jocky Turner crossed the ball in with a lot of pace and their striker just had to side foot the ball into the corner of the net.

Team Joe didn’t let their heads drop and they tried to equalise on a number of occasions through William Smillie and Adam Smith but the opposition defence and keeper succeeded in keeping the ball out of the net.

They went close again when Gary Waddell raced down the right flank and fired a low and hard cross along the goal mouth to find Smillie and an empty net. The striker just had to tap the ball into the net but the ball bounced up and he put it wide.

The equaliser finally came when James Robertson took on two players on the edge of the box and played a ball to Jamie Lackenby who was then taken out of the game by the oncoming defender.

The referee awarded a free kick 25 yards out and Robertson fired in a David Beckham-like free kick that would have had any goalkeeper stranded on the spot.

With the teams level pegging at the start of the second half, things got off to a slow start with both sides struggling to create any chances.

Team Joe started to edge possession with Douglas Brydon making some great passes from the centre of defence to leave the Select strikers chasing shadows.

It wasn’t until the 78th minute when the game came back to life. Pressing for the win, Team Joe were awarded a corner and Lackenby crossed a long ball to the back post to find Brydon who headed the ball back into the box.

The ball was then handled by a Kacky’s defender and the referee blew for a penalty. Lackenby picked the ball up but was made to wait three minutes to take the kick as opposition players surrounded the ref.

However, this didn’t seem to put the Team Joe winger off and he slotted the ball into the left corner, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Kacky’s pushed for an equaliser late on in the game but good defending left the opposition players frustrated.

Team Joe then put the game to bed when Gary Waddell charged down the right to leave the defender for dust before firing the ball across goal to find Adam Smith who tapped home.

Captain Ryan Burns accepted the cup from Charities Cup chairman Jimmy Gargan. Man of the match went to Douglas Brydon.