Streamers surrender their unbeaten run

Coldstream 2

Preston Athletic 4

Coldstream went into this match against the First Division leaders on the back of a six-match unbeaten run, but the sequence was brought to an end midway through the second half when Preston Athletic scored twice in the space of two minutes.

Andrew Gibson’s men found themselves on the back foot early in the first half and had Mark Walters to thank for keeping Preston out.

The goalkeeper saved well at his near post from a Kevin Martin shot eight yards out and dived to palm a Craig Scott header round the post from a threatening corner.

But between those early Preston chances, Streamers had managed to take the lead against the run of play.

He’s scored so many this season that every time John Crawford has the ball the Streamers fans are anticipating another goal. But the skipper’s strike after nine minutes was perhaps his best of the season so far.

A free-kick had been awarded at the edge of the ball for a trip on Martyn Tait, and Crawford stepped up to bend his shot beautifully into the top corner. The Preston goalkeeper had no chance.

It didn’t take the visitors long to equalise, however, John Kerr creating space for himself on the edge of the box to fire low into the corner after a good move down the left.

Streamers went in at half time fortunate to be level, and it was the visitors, controlling the midfield, who looked more threatening in the second half too.

Kevin Martin was in the right place at the right time to put Preston ahead 20 minutes from time and just a minute later a breakaway down the right was finished by Darren McGlashan.

There was more than a hint of offside about the second goal, but if left Streamers chasing the game.

They did so with pride, pushing Preston back.

Crawford went close with a header and Phil Johnson was unable to adjust his feet to turn in a corner to the back post, the ball striking the substitute’s knee two yards out and going over the crossbar.

Bryan Wilson sealed the points for Preston by bending a free-kick round the wall to make it 4-1 before Crawford headed in a late consolation.

Coldstream: M Walters, J McLeod, D Cornish, M Cornish, P Cowe, M Tait (P Johnson 69), M Allan, K Neill, J Crawford, C Heugh (J Rutherford 77), R Armstrong (A Turner 45). Subs not used: M Bolton, S Wright.