Streamers sack Dunn after heavy 5-1 defeat

Coldstream are set to appoint what will be their fourth manager of 2011 after the shock sacking of Lawrie Dunn following Tuesday’s humiliating 5-1 defeat away to Eyemouth United.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 1st September 2011, 10:11 am

Appointed in June, the 38-year-old rookie has been in charge for only eight competitive games and had to build a squad from scratch following a summer exodus. However, a record of one win, one draw and six defeats was not deemed good enough by the club’s committee. Dunn and assistant John Ross were dismissed at Warner Park on Tuesday shortly after the final whistle.

The Streamers have shipped 27 goals in their eight games so far and collected their fourth red card of the campaign in a defeat on Tuesday that leaves them bottom of the East of Scotland League First Division after two games.

Dunn’s departure follows the dismissal of Mike Galloway after just three weeks in the job at the tail end of last season. The former Hearts midfielder had taken over from Mark Lamb, who announced in March his intention to leave in the summer.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Club captain Andrew Gibson is set to take over ahead of Friday’s crucial league fixture away to Hawick Royal Albert. He will have just two more games after that before Streamers face the 600-mile round trip north to face Highland League Wick Academy in the first round of the Scottish Cup on September 24.

Wick, whose fans are known as the Scorries, was set up in 1893 and play at Harmsworth Park.

Speaking after Monday’s draw, Coldstream secretary John Elliot admitted: “It’s not the best of draws for us in terms of expenses. Any money that comes our way from the SFA and gate revenue will be spent on getting there and getting back.

“We had a meeting on Monday night. We’re putting feelers out for prices of coaches. That’s the most likely means of travel. We’ll certainly have to go up the day before and we might have to stay the Saturday night as well. It’s a hell of a long journey after a game, so we’ll have to consider all that.”

Streamers have made the trip before, beating the Caithness side 4-2 in the first round of the 1954 Scottish Cup despite the distance travelled, George ‘Spuddie’ McElraith claiming all four goals.

The journey back then was closer to 400 miles each way as there was no bypass to Edinburgh and few bridges.