Shennan double earns Eyemouth deserved win

Steven Shennan scored a double and could have had a hat-trick
Steven Shennan scored a double and could have had a hat-trick

GALA FAIRYDEAN 2, EYEMOUTH UNITED 3: Steve Shennan scored twice as Eyemouth spoiled Gala’s promotion hopes with victory at Netherdale.

Carl Hudson’s men are now six points behind second-placed Preston Athletic with two games left. But the East Lothian side have a vastly superior goal difference and have one game left themselves.

It was Gala who had an early chance when Grant Gass shot from a narrow angle, but the shot was palmed behind for a corner.

Eyemouth then had the ball in the net following a free-kick but it was ruled out for offside.

Gala’s Gerri Rossi came close when his shot hit the foot of the post and then deflected across the goal to safety.

But Eyemouth took the lead mid way through the half when Shennan ran onto a long ball and sidestepped the advancing keeper before rolling he ball into the net.

The lead was short-lived as Craig Tyson picked up a long ball over the top and slotted home the equaliser.

Shennan restored Eyemouth’s advantage when he lobbed Gala’s keeper, but was booked shortly afterwards for going to ground on the edge of the penalty area in a dramatic fashion.

In first-half injury time Jack Hay was fouled in the penalty area and Scott Nightingale stepped up to powerfully shoot home from the spot. It appeared that the sides would go in level at half time, but James Wilson had other ides and restored Eyemouth’s lead before the interval.

Gala found it difficult to get or hold the ball in the second half and Shennan had several chances to notch his hat trick.

Eyemouth’s defence was very solid and when Gala did get any opportunity their finishing was poor.

It was Eyemouth who bossed the second half and thoroughly deserved all three points.


Eyemouth United: Avery, G Wales (Hebdon 66), Wilson, Hastie, Windram, Aitchison, J Simpson, S Simpson, Shennan (Walker 83, Coyle (Jess 16)), Adamson. Subs not used: Ainsley.