Selkirk HS 15-19 Berwickshire Schools: Cup final triumph for U15s

Share this article

The combined Berwickshire and Eyemouth High Schools lifted the Under-15 Norman Anderson Cup by beating Selkirk at Philiphaugh in a close and entertaining match.

A well-drilled Selkirk team coached by Graham Marshall and John Rutherford took the initiative with two early tries, one of which was converted.

Berwickshire Schools brought themselves back into the game from a quickly taken tap penalty, which saw captain Nathan Melrose drive through for a well-deserved score which was converted by Rory Hamilton.

Both teams endeavoured to move the ball into space and use their wingers.

The second half gradually saw the Berwickshire Schools wear their opponents down, although a succession of penalties did see Selkirk add to their lead with an unconverted try.

Stung by this, the Black and Reds struck back straight away with Louis Heatley scorching round his opposite number to give them hop. Hamilton converted.

Eventually through some good scrummaging and an increasing belief Berwickshire took a strangle hold of the game with some excellent catch and drives at the lineout and slick handling in the backs.

The pressure exerted in the final ten minutes finally showed with some of the most fluid rugby from the Berwickshire Schools of the season.

Liam Shipperlee drove through the gap despite a man overlap to dot down for the winning score. After the attempted unsuccessful conversion attempt the home referee blew for full time much to the disappointment to a brave Selkirk team and to the obvious joy of the boys from Berwickshire.

Berwickshire and Eyemouth High Schools: Liam Shipperlee, Ronan McDougall, Lewis Hall, Duncan Sim, Louis Heatley, Rory Hamilton, Gregor Murray, Declan Renton, George Smith, Nathan Melrose, James Brewis, Callum Rhind, Ross Ferguson, Euan Archibald, Duncan Hardie. Subs: Joe Logan, Barnaby Bevan, Ciaran McEwan, Donovan Douglas, Ewan Gosling, Will Derries, Grant Maltman.