Duns 40-14 Hawick Linden

Rugby news
Rugby news

uns and Hawick Linden crossed swords for the third time this season when they met in East Regional League Division 1 at Castle Park on Saturday.

After two narrow wins for the Linden it was Duns who recorded a resounding victory.

Duns kicked off but it took only three minutes for Linden to register their first points when Ford kicked a penalty, and only five minutes later the advantage was increased to eight points with an unconverted try wide out on the right. At this stage Duns were surrendering possession far too easily and conceding penalties.

Eventually, however, the home side began to win more ball and, more importantly, were able to be more creative when in possession. From a scrum just outside the Linden 22 Hayden Martin at stand off gave a delayed pass to Bert Grigg who beat the first defensive line. When his progress was halted he had Steven Crawford on his shoulder and the big flanker powered over between the posts from 15 metres out for his second try in successive matches, with Lewis Craik’s conversion being successful.

Linden enjoyed the better of the rest of the half, and two more penalties from Ford’s boot stretched their lead to 14-7 at the break.

Duns transgressed again straight from the kick off, but Ford’s straightforward shot at goal was wide.

The home side then had a purple patch, and scored three tries in less than 10 minutes, all converted by Lewis Craik.

First, Lewis Craik made an excellent break up the left midfield, shrugging off tackler after tackler, and when his progress was halted he had Callum Redden in support on his outside. The young winger made 20 metres or so and crossed for an excellent try.

The next score was a solo effort by Danny Lamb. Linden botched a 22 metre drop out, and Duns were awarded a scrum. Lamb picked up at the base of the scrum, dummied to pass to his stand off, and then set off on a typically barrelling run to the posts for a fine individual score.

The bonus point score was another by Callum Redden, the first time he has touched down twice in the same match for Duns. The home side had come from 14-7 down to lead 28-14 in the twinkling of an eye, and had scored a try bonus point for the third successive match.

Duns continued to dominate, although it has to be said that Linden’s cause was not helped by a series of injuries to key personnel.

The best score of the afternoon came with 10 minutes remaining, when the ball went through several pairs of hands. Stuart Thomson came into the line at full tilt to create the extra man, and he had Andrew Baxter on his outside to deliver the coup de grace for a brilliant team try. Lewis Craik kept up his 100% record with the boot with a fine conversion from wide out on the right.

Right at the death Dale Robertson went over in the corner for his 91st try for the 1st XV to round off an excellent team performance.

There are now only two fixtures remaining in a season which has seen 55 different players represent the 1sts, at home to Langholm this Saturday and then away to Berwick a week later when our neighbours to the East will be deservedly crowned East 1 champions for 2014/15. Kick off time for the Langholm match has still to be agreed - please check the club website or social media for details.

Duns : Euan Reed; Callum Redden, Lewis Craik, Dale Robertson and Scot Maceachen; Hayden Martin and Danny Lamb; Scott McCraw, Cammy Hill, Douglas Turnbull, Gavin Tait, Scott Turnbull, Steven Crawford, Bert Grigg and Graham Letham. Reps: Barry Hamilton, Richard Hume, Stuart Thomson, Andrew Baxter.