Robertson kicks his 1000th league point for Duns in win over Dunbar


Duns entertained old friends Dunbar at the Hardens for their final league fixture of the season, and won a highly entertaining match by 6 tries to 4.

This was a contest which could have gone either way until the final five minutes or so. Dunbar were unlucky not to score a try in the opening minutes but they kicked a penalty in that period, which was cancelled out when Dale Robertson kicked a penalty for Duns after six minutes.

On ten minutes, a Dunbar up and under was marked by Keiran Wilkinson inside the Duns 22. David Hutchison broke on the wing supported by Dale Robertson who tore up the middle with the defence trailing behind him, and just had the strength to shrug off a tackler 5m out to cross the line for an excellent individual score.

Dunbar came straight back and they took advantage of an overlap on the left for their number 8 to go over in the corner to tie the scores at 8-8. Hutchison then brilliantly beat three opponents and crossed in the corner. A fine conversion from the touchline by Robertson brought up his 1000th league point for Duns.

Ten minutes later Duns were on the score sheet again. with try number three from Danny Lamb..

Once again, Dunbar were straight on the offensive and within three minutes they had reduced the deficit with their second try. A successful conversion narrowed the gap to 20 - 15 at the interval,

The bonus point try for the home side came from Andrew Baxter who touched down in the corner, converted by Robertson. and a penalty three minutes later, stretched the lead to 30 - 15.

Dunbar hit back with an excellent team try . They scored again and all of a sudden it was 30 - 27.

Duns put some breathing space between the sides with their fifth try from Tom Swan..

With five minutes remaining Duns put the result beyond any doubt when Hutchison raced clear from the half way line. He outstripped the covering defenders and ran round behind the posts for his second score of the match, and Robertson converted