Berwick Ladies 8-1 North Shields

editorial image

With the pervious week’s hockey league match cancelled due to snow on the pitch in Newcastle, Berwick were ready and ready to go for their league match against North Shields 2nd’s.

Berwick started well and pressurised the North Shields defence, and had it not been for some fine saves by their goalkeeper North Shields would have found themselves behind sooner.

Berwick’s Siobhan Murphy played a strong ball into the D which found the end of the out stretched stick of Carly Robertson, who tipped it into the goal.

Berwick’s lead was to be short lived. As they pushed forward they were awarded a penalty corner which was cleared by North Shields, then Berwick found themselves lacking in numbers in defence, when North Shields broke quickly out-pacing the Berwick back three and slipping the ball past the Berwick keeper.

Berwick fought back and is wasn’t long before they found themselves in front again, North Shields’ keeper was saving every shot Berwick stuck at her but it was Michelle Stewart who got Berwick’s second when she managed to pick the ball out of a goalmouth scramble and lift it into the top right hand corner.

With most of the rest of the second half being played in Berwick’s attacking half they were still mindful of how quick North Shields could break. Berwick forwards and midfield tried every type of shot they could think of, each one being saved by North Shields keeper, but eventually it was Stewart again who broke through the defence and found herself one on one with the keeper and with a thundering shot smacked the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Becca Murray got Berwick’s fourth when Stewart slipped her the ball miss footing the keeper and slotting it into the goal.

After the half time break it was all Berwick, again winning numerous penalty corners but the in-form shields keeper kept the home team at bay.

But with a change of tactics Berwick caught the Shields defence out, when Stewart slipped the ball to Murray to slot it past the keeper .

Berwick’s long-serving midfield pairing of Garland and Hogg mopped up any balls which looked like breaking the Berwick defence, which allowed them to keep the pressure on.

Murray again took a strike on goal only for the keeper to slide out and save it but quick thinking Stewart pounced on the rebound and lifted the ball over the keeper and into the back on the net to make it 6-1.

Berwick scored two more before the final whistle. Stewart got her fourth and Berwick seventh when she took on the keeper .

Berwick’s eighth was scored by Lauren Nisbet in a similar situation as Stewart, Nisbet ran the ball into the D only to find the keeper racing out towards her, but keeping a cool head, slotted the ball through the keeper’s legs just as she was flattened by the stopper.

Berwick’s win helps to keep their challenge for a top two league finish alive.

Next Sunday they face Morpeth away in another tough league match.

Berwick would like to thank Beveridge Carpets for sponsoring the match.