New manager Dunn off to a flying start with Greenlaw

Lawrie Dunn of Coldstream FC.
Lawrie Dunn of Coldstream FC.
Share this article


Chirnside United2

CHIRNSIDE kept their first clean sheet of the season as they overcame Newtown in a league encounter on Saturday.

The away side reverted to a 4-5-1 formation for the fixture and the move paid dividends giving the visitors their first away victory of the campaign.

Both teams struggled in the opening exchanges with the boggy conditions but the deadlock was broken 20 minutes in when Wilson’s cross was met by Purves and his low shot found the back of the net.

Newtown looked to pile on the pressure after the opener but found Cowe in fine form in the Chirnside goal. The closest they came was a shot from inside the box that came back off the post.

The visitors nearly added a second just before the break but Condy’s shot went high and wide when put clean through.

The second half saw A. Turner replace the injured Wilson and his pace caused immediate problems for the home defence. It was Newtown though that thought they had the equaliser until Kelly made a last ditch clearance at the back post.

Young added number two for Chirnside when he rose highest to nod home Turner’s inswinging corner from the left. After this the visitors defended well and could have added number three but substitute Campbell was tackled just as he was about to pull the trigger.

Chirnside Utd Colts2

Kelso Thistle3

SOME great goalkeeping by both keepers, the woodwork being hit twice and three controversial refereeing decisions all added to a very entertaining game at Chirnside on Saturday.

Kelso had the advantage of a strong wind behind them in the first half and duly took control of the first 15 minutes of this match and indeed had it not been for Colts’ keeper Jason Lugget pulling off two point blank saves from a goal mouth scramble, Chirnside would have been a goal down.

Chirnside began to get their game together after that and it was the Kelso keeper who had to be alert to stop a Graham Patterson shot when he collected a ball from Jordan Blaikie with his back to goal to turn and hit a fine shot which the keeper did well to save. He was called into action again when he cut out a cross from Michael Tweedie which was heading for Paul Blacklock at the back post to slot home.

Back at the other end it took a goal line clearance from Ryan Wood and some great tackling from Ryan Blaikie and Brandon Pollock to keep the score 0-0 at half time.

With one hour played the Colts took the lead from a Jordan Blaikie shot which hit the Kelso defender and ended up in the back of the net. Within two minutes Kelso equalised - a needless free kick was given away and some poor defending after it was taken resulted in the Kelso No. 10 slipping the ball past keeper Lugget to make the score level.

A powerful shot from Junior from 18 yards resulted in the Kelso keeper pulling off a great save which he tipped on to the bar and rebounded out to Stanton who unleashed another powerful shot which beat the Keeper but once again hit the bar but rebounded to safety.

Kelso took the lead after the Colts’ defence had stepped up to leave the Kelso striker three yards offside when a ball was played through to him but to the amazement of everyone including the Kelso players the referee never blew and the striker couldn’t believe his luck when he rolled the ball into the net.

The Colts hit back yet again when Junior tucked the ball under the keeper to make the score 2–2 with 10 minutes to go.

A penalty was awarded to Kelso when Stanton was adjudged to have tripped the Kelso striker in the box from which they duly scored.

The Colts should have been awarded a penalty when the Kelso No. 4 clearly handled the ball while lying on the ground trying to clear the ball but once again the referee failed to blow his whistle. Worse was to follow once again when the Kelso No. 4 lunged at Junior with both feet bringing the young striker down for a clear penalty but again the referee waved play on.

Well into injury time Matt Lawson took a fantastic free kick which looked a goal all the way but again the Kelso keeper pulled off a tremendous save to give Kelso all three points.

Duns Amateurs0


NEW Greenlaw manager Lawrie Dunn got off to a dream start with his new side, and the former Hawick Royal Albert coach could even have left the game wondering why the winning margin was not greater.

Ealy on Duns struggled playing into the strong wind at Gavinton, though the early play was pretty even with few chances created by either team.

Adam Smith signalled Greenlaw’s attacking intent with a surging forward run in the tenth minute, andwhen his shot hit the Duns post, William Smillie was on hand to tap it in.

After this breakthrough, Greenlaw began to make chance after chance, seemingly at will, and their long balls behind the Duns defence were proving problematic for the home team.

Dixon made some great saves to keep the score at 0-1, but he could not hold off the attack on his own for long.

Just 10 minutes later, the advantage was doubled, when an inviting curled cross by Jake Galbraith was met with a powerful header into the corner by Alan Redpath.

Greenlaw pressed on and doubled the score before halftime. First Adam Smith was the provider again, putting Smillie clear through on the end of yet another through ball, where the forward couldn’t miss.

And on the stroke of halftime Smillie completed his hat-trick after he latched on to a long clearance punted into the Duns half and headed in.

After the break, Greenlaw slacked off somewhat, and if there were to be a criticism, then they could have got into double figures if they had kept up their attacking play, especially after Duns’ Dougie Reed was dismissed for a second yellow card.

Duns, to their credit, carried on working hard for one another, and even went to a front three in order to salvage something from the game, but they had been blown away in the first half.

Smillie was denied a few more times by the unlucky Dixon in the Duns goal, but although Duns managed a few shots on target, the outcome was never in doubt.