Keeper Walters on the scoresheet as Streamers hit seven against Hawick

Hawick Royal Albert v Coldstream
Hawick Royal Albert v Coldstream

Hawick Royal Albert1


In past seasons Hawick Royal Albert have been the whipping boys of East of Scotland football, but under the guidance of former Streamers’ boss Lawrie Dunn they are now moving in the right direction and are once again able to compete in the division.

Satuirday’s match was a close contest for an hour until a handball and dismissal proved to be the turning point of the game.

Expecting a tough encounter, Coldstream manager Andrew Gibson went back to his favoured 4-4-2 formation. J. Simpson, Neil and talisman Crawford were all absent meaning starts for fit again Lambert and Hebdon in the wide areas.

The early exchanges saw Coldstream take the game to the Royalists with Lambert’s pace and agility terrorising their right hand side. It was from one of these moves that the little winger floated in a ball from a set piece after being upended during a forward burst. The resulting header was headed just wide of goal. Further slotted passes from the player caused confusion in the Hawick defence, but it was to be Allan that was to unlock their back four, a precise pass finding S. Simpson, who lashed home the opener.

For some reason the play then became disjointed and failed to flow to Gibson’s displeasure, who made it clear he wanted the ball played out to the flanks immediately.

Numerous corners and free kicks were given away around the area and with constant pressure coming from the home side a goal looked on the cards. They rattled the bar after a long through ball was misjudged by substitute Baxendale, returning to the side for the injured M. Cornish for the first time in four months after injury. Coyle could have doubled the lead at the other end, but his one on one with the keeper saw him unsuccessful.

The second half started with the Streamers trying to play the way they started the first half and after consecutive corners, K. Ainslie headed onto the bar, the rebound falling to Coyle, who blasted his shot towards goal. The Royal Albert defender stopped the effort with his hand and was dismissed leaving Tait to dispatch the spot kick with ease to give Coldstream some breathing space.

Lambert then scored the goal of the game. After a Cruyff turn on the halfway line took two players out of the game, he then hit a breathtaking 40 yard effort which drifted over the keeper into the top corner of the net, which even saw the home fans applauding.

With the game now stretched, Coyle added number four, before Tait scored again from the spot.

A rarity then followed, which saw goalkeeper Mark Walters score out of his hands from his own area to the disbelief of the opposition and his team mates!

Unfortunately the clean sheet the Streamers defence craved was lost from the spot after Wales brought down his man in the area. Coyle made sure Gibson’s side scored near the end to finish with a flurry, however registering number seven with a powerful finish.

Coldstream: Coldstream: Walters, Wales, K. Ainslie, M. Cornish, M. Simpson, S. Simpson, Allan, Tait, Hebdon, Lambert, Coyle. Subs: D. Cornish, Baxendale, J. Ainslie, Heugh.