Fairydean emerge victorious in thrilling Borders derby at Duns

Share this article


Gala Fairydean3

THIS bizarre and entertaining Borders derby match had everything with Gala eventually taking the spoils to remain top of the First Division.

No fewer than four red cards were shown during the 90 minutes. We also had two missed penalties and a couple of stunning goals.

Any fears that the departuire of manager Fraser Lothian would detract from Gala’s league campaign were quickly quashed after nine minutes when Ben McGregor won the ball in midfield to slot a perfect pass through to Nightingale and the confident striker blasted a powerful low shot into the net.

Duns gradually found their feet and fired a warning on 16 minutes with Michael Stewart clipping the edge of the post with a low shot.

Just a minute later the Dingers were level. Some poor defending allowed Connor Devaney all the time in the world to volley past Elliot Turnbull from 12 yards out.

But Gala were back in front within five minutes. A long clearance from Paul Sutherland found Hay who unleashed an unstoppable shot in off the post.

Following the interval the game quickly dissolved into a farce. Devaney was first to be shown a red card after a retaliatory lunge at McGregor.

Within two minutes the teams were both down to ten as Wilson picked up his second booking – and the Gala winger was also shown a second red for dissent as he left the field.

On the hour Gary Renton was given his marching orders after tangling with Hay in the box. Duns keeper Scott Lumsden produced a fantastic save to deny Nightingale from the penalty spot. He almost made amends with a dipping shot that rattled the bar.

Despite being a man down Duns were doing most of the attacking and they won their own penalty after Gary Lothian handled in the area. Turnbull matched his opposite number by also flying across his line to push James Robertson’s spot kick round the post.

Sutherland was fortunate to stay on the park after a deliberate hand ball prevented a Duns through pass – Robertson’s freekick whistled past the post.

Only in the final minute did Gala secure the win with substitute Rob Hewitson squaring for Michael Fairburn to score.

Duns: S. Lumsden, D. Leslie (M. Weatherburn 33), M. Stewart, R. Burns, G. Renton, C. Devaney, G. Waddell, K. Lee, B. Chisholm (A. Lauder 56), J. Brydon, J. Robertson.