Douglas cracker seals the points for Dingers in Borders derby

Share this article

Kelso United1


DUNS notched up their first league win of the season on Saturday in a game with plenty of goalmouth action.

Kelso, were without top scorer Des Burnett missing due to holiday commitments, while Duns were still missing no less than five first team regulars.

The Dingers reshuffled their defence with Keiran Lee dropping in at centre half and performing very well. They also gave a debut to new signing from Dunbar United, striker Stewart Robertson.

Both sides created chances but it was Duns who were the more penetrating in their attacks.

The visitors took the lead after only four minutes. Pacey winger Gary Waddell ran down the left and crossed into the penalty box, the United defence failed to clear and striker Bruce Chisholm shot home from six yards.

Kelso had a chance three minutes later when Calum McClure sped down the right and passed to Graeme Gillie but the midfielder’s shot was well held by Lumsden.

A good through ball by Jordan Lauder found Liam Wallace running past the defence. But after rounding the keeper, his right-foot shot hit the outside of the post. This was followed by Wallace supplying Gillie with a shooting opportunity, but his effort went well over the bar.

The visitors increased their advantage in the 26th minute. Waddell sprinted onto a ball from Andrew Renton and, after collecting it in the penalty box, had his legs whipped away by United defender Steven Tait. The penalty kick was duly dispatched by James Brydon.

Lumsden made the save of the game 10 minutes from the break when he turned away a Steven Tait header from a Gillie corner.

United were awarded a soft penalty a minute later when Liam Wallace went down after tangling with full back Mark Weatherburn. Jordan Lauder stepped up and lashed the spot kick past Lumsden.

Lumsden was again called into action shortly before the break, pushing away an effort from Damien McNulty.

Two minutes after the restart and Duns could have made it three when Waddell supplied Bruce Chisholm in front of goal. But the striker’s effort was foiled by the legs of keeper Dowie. The visitors did make it three in the 70th minute when a corner from the right was cleared by the United defence, but only to Duns midfielder Andrew Douglas whose powerful right-foot shot went flying into the net from 25 yards.

Damien McNulty saw an effort hit a defender and go wide. Then Kelso substitute defender Stuart Harker hit the post with the goal gaping.

Duns: S. Lumsden, M. Weatherburn, A. Renton, R. Burns, K. Lee, J. Brydon, A. Douglas, D. Chisholm, G. Waddell, B. Chisholm, S. Robertson. Subs. B. Bouchier.