Borders end on high with win over Midlothian

The last match in the Hamilton Trophy series was against Midlothian the venue being Polton. For the Border team there was nothing resting on this final match, but a win would erase the memory of a heavy defeat at the same venue in 2010.

The match was important to Midlothian who needed a win to give themselves a chance of securing a quarter final place. However, it did not start too well for them. After five ends were completed they had a deficit of four shots and the better bowls were mostly being played by the Borders.

This happy situation continued for some time and even at the half way point there was just one shot separating the two teams. However, Midlothian then started to pull away and the chances for the Borders began to look doubtful.

This proved not to be the case and a lead for Midlothian which had reached double figures evaporated with the match delicately poised over the last few ends. The result was not certain until the very last end when the Borders had a four shot lead. Midlothian needed five shots to win knowing that a draw was not enough. They only secured the one shot and the Borders had gained a magnificent victory to end the campaign for 2012.

The defeat became an even more bitter pill to swallow for Midlothian when news came through that West Lothian had suffered what had been considered an unlikely defeat at the hands of Fife.

On the day the best rink for the Borders was David Smart (Peebles), Stuart Anderson (Wilton), Reece Taylor (Wilton) and Graeme Forsyth (Chirnside). They were locked at four shots apiece after five ends and two shots adrift at ten ends. After this they lost just four shots while amassing 16 shots to win 27-15.

On Sunday the U25s had a match against Edinburgh & Leith the venue being the Leith Bowling Club. With the match hardly started there was a heavy rain shower which forced the players off the green and the possibility of the match continuing was in doubt.

Fortunately, after a half hour delay, it was deemed possible to continue. The Border youngsters started quite well and after early problems they were just three shots adrift after five ends.

They continued to compete well and at ten ends the lead for their opponents was still limited to just eight shots. However, in the second half of the match Edinburgh & Leith began to pull away building up a 20 shot lead. One Border rink was suffering having been forced to start a player short.

Towards the end of the match the Borders did fight back but in the end lost by 132-115.5.

By far the best rink for the Borders was A Kerr (Ayton), W Brownlee (Waverley), C Donaldson (Gordon) and J Mitchell (Chirnside). This rink was 5-2 after five ends and went on to win 33-13.