Tweedmouth crowned Border Amateur C League champions

editorial image

Tweedmouth Amateurs have been crowned as champions in the Border Amateur League C Division. They secured the title on Tuesday with a 1-0 away win over Duns.



Tweedmouth made the short trip to Duns on Tuesday knowing that a point would be enough to give them the league title,

Duns made things difficult right from the start for the visitors, winning the majority of the 50/50 balls. It was clear from the outset that this was going to be a tightly contested game.

Tweedmouth were unable to find any rhythm in their play and few chances were created in the first period.

The teams turned around at half time with the score still deadlocked at 0-0. Into the second half and the game started in more or less the same fashion as the first, but with goalkeeper Graeme Cain in fine form to save superbly following a fine strike from Duns to keep Tweedmouth in the hunt.

The game continued to be a scrappy affair but with Phillips and Gerbil beginning to dominate the midfield exchanges it was the away side who made the breakthrough when centre half Martyn Cornish headed home to put the away side in front.

Duns pressed forward to try and force an equaliser but were unable to find a way through a very stubborn Tweedmouth back line.

With Dean Powling picking up a nasty ankle knock a number of changes were made but with quality coming off the bench they held out to claim three huge points to land them the league title.

Also on Tuesday Greenlaw beat Jed Legion 1-0 in the A Division whilst Gordon beat Chirnside United 5-1,



(Greenlaw won 3-0 on pens)

Greenlaw got another win in the Waddell Cup in their quest to defend the trophy they won last season, scraping by B League side Eyemouth.

The visitors started the brighter of the two sides and caused Greenlaw some problems down the right through Brown.

It was not until the 35th minute that we saw the first goal when Eyemouth saw their corner go straight through a pack of players and directly into the net at the front post.

Eyemouth dominated until the half time whistle, but were unable to muster up any more chances. Greenlaw did have a chance just before the break but Robertson then Smillie were denied by Stobart.

In the second half Greenlaw started to play a bit more football and pushed on a little more. Smillie was first denied at the near post then Chris Black saw an effort acrobatically saved by Stobart.

With 10 minutes remaining in the match it was all or nothing for Greenlaw and they piled men forward.

Right on 90 minutes Chris Black skipped by a couple of players and was brought down in the Eyemouth box. Eyemouth’s right back was shown a second yellow for dissent in his appeals to reduce them to 10 men. Dean Carruthers then stepped up to finish from the spot to equalise for Greenlaw and take the game to extra time.

Within moments of the extra time starting Black again was brought down in the box, the referee had no choice but to award the penalty, but this time Carruthers couldn’t put it past Stobart who guessed correctly to make the save.

With little more chances created and a lot of tired legs the game went to penalties.

And it was Greenlaw goalkeeper David Simmonds who was again the penalty hero, saving Eyemouth’s first three penalties. Greenlaw scored theirs through Carruthers, Hannan and Robertson to gain a place in the semi-finals.

In the A League on Saturday Gordon beat Ancrum 5-1, despite having a player sent off after only 15 seconds, whilst Chirnside United drew 1-1 away to Gala Fairydean.



There was an explosive start to this match when within the first 15 seconds Gordon conceded a penalty and had a player sent off.

The referee showed a straight red for a hand ball in the box, and although the Gordon keeper saved the spot kick, the visitors netted from the rebound.

Five minutes later and Gordon were awarded a penalty of their own after Porter was fouled, but Gay hit the kick over the bar.

With 12 minutes gone Swan was forced off with an injury and Gordon looked to be up against it.

But they dug deep and battled for every ball.

They had several chances before eventually equalising from the penalty spot, this time Porter converting.

In the second half Gordon conpletely dominated,with Utterson bagging a hat-trick of headers.

One of these came from an excellent move when after several passes the ball was slipped through the defence and into Dodge at the bye-line and he stood up a great left footed cross for Utterson to head home at the back post.

Livingstone claimed the other goal when Gav crossed and the Ancrum defender headed the ball up in the air. Livingstone scuffed a left footed volley which hit a defender’s heel and looped up and over the keeper into the top corner.

Gordon could have scored more, but Dodge headed against the outside of the post and the Ancrum keeper pulled off a wonderful save to deny Porter from a great diving header.



Coldstream made it three wins on the bounce and three clean sheets, beating Langholm legion 4-0. A semi final next week, possible promotion and a perfect trio between Simpson, Tubbs and Guthrie conclude the celebrations and the excitement of progress off the field nears a climax.

Coldstream made the long journey to Langholm, missing key players, Young and midfielder Allan.

Treibel took over between the sticks, Watson was put into his shorts and into centre half and Chris Baillie came back into the side beside Jimmy Grimble.

The goal scorers were Simpson, Waughy with two absolutely fantastic efforts and Owen Benziies got back on the goal trail notching the fourth.

The hunger shown by the boys in blue displayed was a joy to watch and in truth they thoroughly deserved the maximum three points.

It had been a long time coming for Coldstream to beat Langholm and one they will surely treasure for years to come.

It was satisfying to also silence the local crowd, anxious on the touchline, showing amateur football at its finest. Over-confident would describe the unpleasant and very abrupt crowd at the game and Coldstream did not half silence them.

Next week sees Coldstream face Hawick Legion again for the fourth time this season in a semi final, hoping for a win and some momentum back into training and to boost their confidence in the push for promotion.