Turner hat-trick ensures Chirnside’s place in final

Hawick Waverley v Chirnside.
Hawick Waverley v Chirnside.



Chirnside made it through to the final of the Beveridge Cup against Gala Rovers thanks to an Adam Turner hat-trick.

With the previous encounter between the two teams this season ending in a 4-0 victory for Waverley, Chirnside knew they had to lift their game, and they did this with two early goals.

The first of these was scored by Turner when he chased down a pass back and slid in tackling the keeper leaving him with the easy task of rolling the ball into the empty net.

It was Turner again who added the second five minutes later when he curled a right foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Even before the first goal Utd looked dangerous when Condy just failed to connect with Strachan’s cross at the back post. The visitors had chances to increase their lead even further but they could not find the target in the freezing conditions.

Waverley came back into the game midway through the half and Todd made a good save when the striker was clean through. A header at the back post also went just inches over the bar as Chirnside held on to their two goal lead.

Into the second half and again it was the visitors who made the early running. They should have added a third but Purves’ shot was parried by the keeper and Condy’s follow up was blocked by a defender on the line. However they didn’t have to wait long for the next goal as Armstrong scored shooting low past the keeper.

Waverley pushed forward in numbers after Chirnside scored the third and with 20 minutes left to play they pulled one back when their striker stabbed the ball home from close range. As has often been the case this season the visitors started to panic and Hawick took advantage of this by scoring a second, this time the left winger shot home first time giving Todd no chance.

The home team were now pushing for the equaliser but were denied on more than one occasion by Todd in the Chirnside goal who was on top form.

With five minutes left to play the visitors hit on the break with Turner’s pace taking him clear he shot past the keeper to score the vital fourth goal and complete his hat-trick.

With almost the last kick of the ball Waverley added a third when their striker scored his second of the day with a left footed shot from inside the box.

The final is a repeat of three years ago when Gala Rovers defeated Chirnside. The Berwickshire men will be looking for a different outcome this time around.