Rangers out of tune against top dog Loons

Berwick Rangers 1, Forfar Athletic 2

By The Newsroom
Monday, 22nd August 2016, 4:21 pm
Updated Monday, 22nd August 2016, 5:23 pm

There was plenty of perspiration but too little inspiration for Rangers at the weekend as Forfar maintained their 100 per cent start to their league campaign with a hard-fought win.

A fantastic strike from Kevin Milne and a second from Josh Peters put the visitors in control at rain-lashed Shielfield Park.

Although Berwick fought hard and pulled one back thanks to the ever-dangerous Jordyn Sheerin it proved to be a consolation.

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Forfar looked the more dangerous early on, especially on the counter attack.

A misplaced header put Jim Lister through on seven minutes and he should perhaps have done better before being squeezed out.

However, the visitors didn’t have long to wait before getting the breakthrough when Kevin Milne found himself in space on the left edge of the box.

He cut inside and curled a beautiful right-footed shot into the top corner of the net giving Kevin Walker no chance.

Berwick were rattled and nearly went further behind three minutes later when Josh Peters found himself in loads of room but dithered and his shot was blocked.

On the quarter hour, Berwick created their first good chance when Jordyn Sheerin fired narrowly wide after good work by Allan Walker.

Three minutes later, he went even closer with a thunderbolt of an effort from 25 yards out which cannoned off the bar.

The visitors continued to cause problems on the break though with Peters again going close on 22 minutes.

Sheerin went close again a minute later when the ball broke to him in the inside right channel but his shot was saved.

Forfar wasted a great chance to double their lead on 34 minutes when Lister rounded the keeper and pulled it back only for Brian Martin to clear.

Berwick started the second half brightly and Notman fired straight at Grant Adam after finding space in the box.

However, they fell two behind in bizarre circumstances on 55 minutes when a seemingly innocuous cross found its way to Peters via Lee Hamilton and he prodded it into the net.

Any thoughts that heads would drop were quickly dispelled, though, with Berwick mounting a stream of attacks on the Forfar goal.

On the hour the on-rushing Walker fired just wide when well placed but they had to wait just three minutes for the goal to come, Sheerin finding space at the back post and firing a firm shot past Adam.

Walker then had Adam scrambling as his header went narrowly wide.

Sub Darren Lavery went close within minutes of his introduction, firing over from the edge of the area.

But Forfar almost grabbed a third on the counter attack after 75 minutes when Lister went through with only the keeper to beat only to find Walker stand firm to block his effort.

As the game ebbed away, Michael McKenna saw red on 87 minutes for a lunging tackle on David Cox which produced a second yellow.

Berwick Rangers: Kevin Walker, Lee Hamilton (Lavery, 60) Kevin Mckinlay, Steven Notman, Brian Martin, Robert Wilson, Steven Thomson, Ben Stirling, Allan Walker (Hogg, 77), Michael McKenna, Jordyn Sheerin.

Forfar Athletic: Grant Adam, Murray Mackintosh, Jamie Bain (Smith, 69), Andy Munro, Stuart Malcolm, Thomas O’Brien, Josh Peters (Scott, 69) Kevin Milne, Jim Lister, Gavin Swankie, David Cox.

Referee: Steven Reid.

Attendance: 421.