Tweedmouth and Eyemouth win through to Border Amateur League finals

Duns Reserves v Tweedmouth Amatuers in the Border Amateur league Collie-Cup semi final.
Duns Reserves v Tweedmouth Amatuers in the Border Amateur league Collie-Cup semi final.
Share this article

Two local sides have won through to finals in the Border Amateur League.

Tweedmouth Amateurs have reached the final of the Collie Cup, with Eyemouth winning through to the Wright Cup final.



(Tw’mouth won 5-4 on pens)

Tweedmouth travelled to Duns on Saturday for the semi-final in the Collie Cup, and eventually won through after a nail-biting penalty shoot-out.

Duns started the game the brighter moving the ball quickly from back to front to put the away side immediately on the back foot and having to do a lot of defending early on in the match.

Tweedmouth created very little opportunities in the first period but against the run of play, following a light scuffle in the home penalty box, Duns failed to clear the danger and young Aaron Hope found the top corner with a spectacular effort from all of 20 yards,

Half time couldn’t come quick enough and Tweedmouth brought on Gibb to allow Phillips back into midfield, hoping this would give them some much needed energy in the middle of the park.

However, the away side failed to get going and Duns deservedly equalised ten minutes into the second half.

Tweedmouth then suffered a blow losing Turnbull and Gibson to injury, both players suffering ligament injuries.

Duns continued to have the better of things but again failed to make the most of their opportunities, and the visitors continued to hang on and send the match into extra time.

Duns again created chance after chance but as both teams started to tire the game opened up and Tweedmouth created some opportunities with Jay Clark forcing a fine save from the Duns keeper to turn his shot around the post.

Full time and the game went to penalties with Duns electing to go first and they made no mistake.

Gibb stepped up for the away side and scored, both sides continued to score until Duns were the first to miss allowing Jay Clark to score the final and winning kick to sending Tweedmouth into the final.

Tweedmouth knew they were not at their best and will need to improve on this performance in the coming weeks, but they again showed great character and spirit to get to the club’s first cup final in this league.

In the final Tweedmouth will face Hawick Legion Rovers, who beat St Boswells 3-2 in the other semi.

The club would also like to wish both injured players a speedy recovery and hope to see them both back on the pitch soon.

Eyemouth Amateurs won through to the final of the Wright Cup on Saturday when they beat Gala Hotspur 4-1 in the semi’s.

Sword and Logie each scored twice in the away victory, which now puts them in the final where they will face either Coldstream Amateurs or Hawick Legion, who have yet to play their semi.

However, there was no final joy for Gordon, who lost their Border Cup semi-final clash 2-3 at home to Gala Fairydean Rovers.

Gala will now go on to meet West Barns Star in the final after they beat Leithen Rovers 4-3 in a nail-biting semi.

The Border Cup final will be played at Greenlaw’s Happers Park on Saturday, November 29.

In the South of Scotland Cup first round Chirnside United were knocked out 4-2 away to Biggar.

There were two games played in the B League involving local sides, but it was not a good day for either. Coldstream Amateurs lost 1-3 at home to Langholm Legion, Scott Collins, Alistair Little and Josh Haldane on target for the visitors.

Chirnside United Colts were beaten 6-2 away to Hawick United. A Ross Scott hat-trick helped steer United to a clear cut victory. Scott Storrie, Colin Richardson and Dean Fry, with a penalty, were the other Hawick scorers.

Earlston Rhymers and Linton Hotspur drew 2-2.

In the C Division there were away wins for Melrose, Lauder and Peebles.



With two wins in two games for the home side, and Stow having only managed a draw in their last two outings, it looked set to be a great game at Happers Park.

Greenlaw were dealt a blows just before kick off with two call-offs from an already depleted squad and they got off to the worst possible start when after 15 minutes Stow striker Hagen Steele latched on to a poor clearance from Greenlaw to finish well.

Just moments later Stow again scored when Gass drifted through clear of his marker and through Greenlaw’s defence to slot home.

Just when Greenlaw needed some stability, Ross Smillie had to go off with an injury leaving an already bare home defence more exposed which gave Stow time to push and resulted in a free kick being awarded at the edge of the Greenlaw area. It was Steel who stepped up to take it and he lifted it over the Greenlaw wall and into the top corner for a 0-3 lead.

The home side continued to struggle with possession and couldn’t muster any real opportunities with Stow’s midfield dominating most of the play.

The second half started a more even affair with Greenlaw with the wind behind them. This meant they could push forward more with Patton and Hannan pressing on down the wings.

This left them vulnerable to Stow’s quick breaks and 10 minutes into the half they got their fourth when Runciman finished from a cross from close range.

More agony was piled on moments later when the visitors were awarded a penalty after Simmonds brought down their striker. The confident Steele stood up to take it and once again found the back of the net to complete his hat-trick.

There was a lifeline for Greenlaw on the 70th minute when Chris Black was brought down and a penalty was awarded but Lee Hannan failed to convert.