Reserves’ win earned at cost with two players injured

editorial image
Share this article

Peebles 1, Berwick Res 4

BERWICK Rangers Reserves maintained their promotion challenge with a fourth successive away victory in a match played on Rovers’ alternative Kerfield pitch.

Rovers’ traditional Whitestone Park home was still unplayable. Unlike the first team’s big game at Shielfield, this one was snow-free.

The Reserves have played better this season but still packed too big a punch for a Peebles side who beat them at Shielfield in November and upset the form book the previous week with a good home win over another side in the promotion mix, Craigroyston.

However, Berwick’s win came at a cost. Leading scorer Josh Morris, who opened their account with a 25th minute penalty after former Berwick Under 19 player Darren Linton tripped Phil Addison, aggravated an old ankle injury in a second half fall.

Callum Wyllie also failed to complete the match, visiting hospital for stitches in a calf injury.

By the time both players departed, the Reserves had built a four goal lead.

Addison got the second from a couple of yards out after a Morris shot was blocked and in the 38th minute, Greig Smith’s chip from outside the penalty area beat outrushing keeper Kris Lennie.

Peebles’ best first half chance came in between Berwick’s opening goals but Duncan Muir was unlucky when he saw his effort hit the post.

Six minutes beyond the break, Wyllie went past Linton and sent in a low cross meant for Smith. Defender Greg Shortreed got in the way only to end up putting the ball into his own net.

The home side’s consolation goal came late. Rangers’ substitute Nick Rendall, on the field barely a minute, was penalised for bundling over Gareth Manson. Craig Edgar was on target from the spot to finally give the fair sized home crowd something to cheer.

Berwick: Tufail, Finlayson, Brady, Hay, Fairbairn, Gill, Wyllie (Todd 70, Doris (Rendall 85), Smith, Morris (Sanderson-Trialist 60), Addison.