Patterson sends Chirnside Colts through to cup semi

Chirnside Utd Colts 4, Biggar 3

(After extra time)

GRAHAM Patterson grabbed the winner as Chirnside United Colts won through to the semi-finals of the Sanderson Cup after a pulsating game which went all the way to extra time.

The Colts started this game with real determination against a Biggar side that hadn’t been beaten in the League this season.

For the first 25 minutes the Colts had the majority of play and were unlucky not to be at least a goal up with Luke Turner making the Biggar keeper pull off

a couple of decent saves and Dan Romanis should have at least hit the target from a powerful header but as in the Colts’ last game those missed chances proved costly as Biggar were awarded a penalty when Ryan Blaikie was adjudged to have brought down the Biggar striker. The spot kick was converted.

Worse was to follow after another five minutes when Biggar went two up after a mix-up between Ryan Wood and Matt Lawson allowed the Biggar striker to nip in between them and steal the ball to roll it in past keeper Jason Lugget.

The Colts’ heads went down a bit after that but they managed to keep their composure up until half time to keep the score at 2-0.

All credit must go to this young Colts side as they came out after half time and upped their game once again and got a goal back after 55 minutes when a ball was played up the line to Daniel Pattenden and he delivered an inch perfect cross for Michael Tweedie to glance a header in at the far post.

The Colts drew level after 60 minutes when a ball was played up the line from Davey Lough to Daniel Pattenden who once again who beat the full back to send in another cross which young Luke Turner volleyed home from 12 yards.

The unbelievable happened after 65 minutes when the Colts took the lead and once again it was Daniel Pattenden who drove into the box and beat three

players before poking the ball into the net.

With seven minutes remaining Biggar drew level from a corner when a header from their centre half hit Paul Johnstone on the shoulder and ended

up in the net to take the game into extra time.

Biggar should have taken the lead in the first half of extra time when Jason Lugget saved a shot at the near post only for the ball to run across the six yard line to the feet of the Biggar striker who, with the goal at his mercy, somehow managed to put the ball past the post.

With 10 minutes left Luke Turner won the game for the Colts when the ball was played through to him from Graham Patterson and he slipped the ball past the advancing keeper to make the score 4 -3 to the Colts and send the crowd, and the manager, home happy.