North Northumberland League round-up

editorial image

With all other teams being involved in cup action, the only league game in the North Northumberland at the weekend saw Wansbeck take over at the head of the first division following a 1-1 away to Rothbury.

Neil Johnson scored for Rothbury, with Johnny McGurk hitting the wansbeck reply.

All other teams were involved in Bilclough Cup duty and the big winners of the day were Lowick United, who beat Eglingham by the convincing scoreline of 12-0.

Paul Wood, Andy Metcalfe and Myles Wilson all hit hat-tricks for the home side in what can only be described as a one-sided cup tie.

Sam Cowens netted twice as Wooler won at Alnmouth.

Judd Donohoe also bagged a brace for Alnmouth United in their win over Tweedmouth Harrow, whose single reply came from Kurt Yule.

Reece and Liam Ramsay plus an Ethan Iredale own goal made up the Amble St Cuthbert total in a 5-3 win over Belford, whose scorers were Ross Moore (2) and Ryan Lillico.

At Craster, Richard Stanwix and Shaun Toal both netted hat-tricks in their 9-1 win over North Sunderland.

Michael Antcliffe also bagged a hat-trick as Springhill netted six times at Embleton.

Meanwhile, in an all-first division tie, Red Row saw off Tweedmouth Rangers with a 2-1 victory.

This was a very close game between two evenly matched sides and it was only Tweedmouth’s slow start that proved to be the difference in the end.

After five minutes Howard slipped and allowed the ball to be switched to the left wing and the winger cut inside, only to be fouled by Leddy inside the box and a penalty was awarded and coolly despatched to give Red Row the lead.

Tweedmouth came into the game and took control launching attack after attack and were guilty of several missed chances from Colquhoun,McAskill and Dodd.

The score remained 1-0 at half time and again Tweedmouth were slow to start the second period and found themselves under pressure, nearly conceding direct from the kick off.

They survived a succession of corners but were undone by a good counter attack to find themselves two down.

Tweedmouth shuffled the pack and again took the game to Red Row and with 15 minutes remaining Craig Howard hammered home from the edge of the box to set up a frantic but fruitless final quarter.