Minor Cup round-up Craster Rovers 0-3 Wooler

Share this article

Wooler progressed into the third round of the NFA Minor cup with this comfortable victory over North Northumberland League opposition.

All three goals came in the first half as the home team struggled to cope with the pace of the Wooler forwards.

Wooler created numerous scoring opportunities before James Jeffrey opened the scoring with a right footed effort. Jeffrey then scored his second midway through the first half and just before the break Stuart Bertram added Wooler’s third goal.

In the second half Wooler made several changes, using this opportunity to give some younger players the experience of playing in the first team. Although no more goals were scored Wooler continued to dominate ,with Michael Thorpe in the Wooler goal being a spectator for long periods.

All over the pitch Wooler were able to dominate their opposition but special praise is deserved for the Wooler goal scorers Jeffrey and Bertram.



Lowick started the brighter of the two teams testing Patterson in the Tweedmouth goal but couldn’t find the end product.

With some great work on the wing from Colquhoun, he crossed to find Dodd who scored to put the home team ahead this settled Tweedmouth and saw them control play and pass the ball around.

Robertson skipped past three players to find Colquhoun to net his first and just a few minutes after Colquhoun found space and curled a great strike into the top corner from outside the box.

The fourth came from a Robertson corner which Cromarty got on the end of. McAskill got the fifth when he lobbed the oncoming keeper after latching in to a clearance from Cromarty.

Leading 5-0 at half time Tweedmouth thought the game was won and let Lowick into the game.

They netted early on through Warcup and started passing the ball around well.

Young got on the end of a free kick to score their second but Colquhoun completed his hat-trick when he headed in from a Dodd throw to put the game out of reach.

In the last 10 minuets Lowick got a third through Wood.

In all, seven teams from the North Northumberland League made it through to the third round.

Shilbottle found themselves three down against Wallsend Boys Club, but battled back to win 4-3.

Highfields United beat Gosforth Bohemians 2-1 at the Sports Centre whilst Red Row defeated Heaton Rifles 3-0.

Amble St Cuthbert went through at the expense of Newcastle Medicals whilst Bamburgh Castle triumphed 3-0 over North Shields Town.

Rothbuty went to extra-time against Tynemouth FC, but managed to pull it out the bag.

But there were defeats for Alnmouth. 5-2 away to Newcastle barca; Embleton 5-3 away to Hexham; Duns, who lost 3-0 on the road at Cramlington and Lynemouth Anglers, who went down 6-1 away to Seaton Burn.

Meanwhile, in the league, Tweedmouth Harrow won 3-0 in their Berwick derby match away to Springhill at the Pier Field.

This was the only first division game of the day and goals from Johnny Gill, Craig Anderson and Johnny Blythe gave them the victory.

There was also only one game played in division two where Hedgeley Rovers went down 8-2 at home to Wansbeck. Michael Freathy netted four times for the league leaders with two each from Peter Roberts and Ryan Wilson making up their total.