Lowick go joint top of NNL

editorial image

Alnmouth United had a free week but stay top of the North Northumberland first division on goal difference from Lowick United.

At Rothbury, Connor Mason was on target for the home team but two goals from Matthew Tait, plus single strikes by Andy Metcalfe and Paul Fairley saw Lowick win 4-1 and draw level on points at the top of the table.

Wansbeck also won with Ritchie Hall two and a Ryan Wilson goal giving them the win over Bamburgh, whose lone scorer was Steven Archer. Josh Baston two, Stuart Oman, Max Anderson, Paul Smith and Kevin Bell all scored for Red Row Welfare as they beat Highfields.

In Division Two leaders Amble St Cuthbert travelled to Berwick but it was Springhill who took the victory as two David Jardine goals and a Michael Antcliffe goal proved too much for the visitors, the home side winning 3-0.

Belford took over at the top with a 13-0 hammering of Eglingham. Ross Moor hit four, and there were two each for Kevin France, Neil Jefferson and Josh Briggs plus single efforts from Andy Thompson, Dan Tully and Mark Dunlop.

Wooler Reserves and Tweedmouth Harrow shared the points with goals from James Spencer and Craig Anderson respectively.



Tweedmouth controlled this game from start to finish but should have finished it off much sooner than they did.

Tweedmouth’s sharp passing game tired the visitors out and as early as the sixth minute McAskill brought a fine save from the visiting keeper but he could not hold onto it and the ever impressive Craig Colquhoun was on hand to tuck away.

The home team kept the pressure on with their movement and passing but failed to capitalise as McAskill, Dickson, Walker and others all missed good opportunities but it was the same combination who increased the score on 29 minutes. Again McAskill caused the problem and Colquhoun tidied up the mess with an acute finish.

Lee Dodd and Craig Howard were causing havoc down the wings and the midfield trio of Dickson, Simpson and the hard tackling Walker were running the game. However, the finishing left something to be desired and Rangers were becoming more and more frustrated. This allowed North Sunderland a way back into the game for a spell and it was only a fine save from Lumsden that kept the two goal advantage intact.

Craig Howard then missed a penalty which only added to the frustration. Then the injured Walker was replaced by Aitchison and the third goal soon followed with a flowing movement through the middle of the park and Simpson applied the cool finish. It was Simpson again with a superb finish from inside his own half as he lobbed the visiting sweeper/keeper.

Further changes followed with Darren Cromarty and James Leddy coming on and the visitors couldn’t cope with the fast attacking passing from Tweedmouth.

It wasn’t long before Dickson broke through and with only the keeper to beat he squared for McAskill to tap home from close range. It was Dickson again who provided the sixth with a flighted cross for McAskill to finish with a diving header.