Local teams eager to get back to action

Phil Addison'Berwick Rangers v Rangers
Phil Addison'Berwick Rangers v Rangers

BERWICK Rangers Reserves were one of the few East of Scotland League teams to see action last weekend albeit in a friendly on the Friday night.

Without a scheduled League fixture, the Reserves took on Dalkeith Thistle at the Forrester Complex in Edinburgh.

The sides met in a pre-season friendly at Dalkeith where Berwick won 6-5. It was another close affair this time, the match ending in a 2-2 draw.

Kenny O’Brien and Josh Morris scored for Berwick with Matthew Hunter and former Shielfield favourite Kevin Haynes netting for the Juniors. Rangers’ manager Ian Little was amongst the spectators, paying particular attention to the performance of three trialists, two from Hearts and one from Livingston.

The Reserves are due to return to League action this Saturday, February 2, at home to Burntisland Shipyard. The Fife club, longstanding members of the SFA, only stepped up to the East League this season and this is believed to be their first ever visit to Shielfield.

When the sides met earlier in the season in Fife, the Reserves came away with a hard earned 3-2 victory. Saturday’s match kicks off at 2.30pm.

Meanwhile Duns are hoping that their league match against Selkirk at Yarrow Park goes ahead on Saturday as they have only played one game since the end of November and that was agianst Leith Athletic on their artificial pitch.

The Dingers are still depleted through injuries with defender Stevie McHoul out for the rest of the season after aggravating an old injury at Leith and James Robertson is also out for the season with cruciate ligament damage to his knee.

Striker Stuart Robertsion is also on the injury list and midfielder Des Chisholm is unavailable for Saturday.

On the plus side manager Neil Oliver has signed two young players, both from Berwick. They are the versatile 18-year-old Grant Sharp and 17-year-old midfielder Regan Graham. Both will be in the squad for Saturday’s game at Selkirk.

Darren Leslie and Andrew Douglas also return to the squad.

Assitant manager Stevie Lennon said: “Having had just one game since November we are hoping that Saturday’s game is on despite our injury problems. If ever there was a case for summer football then this has been it.”

Eyemouth United face a tough task when they travel to take on Gala Fairydean in the first round of the King Cup.

Manager Carl Hudson expects to travel with a near full strength squad - barring work commitments - and as the game is on plastic it is almost certain to go ahead.

“We haven’t played for a few weeks,” said Hudson, “and even training has been a problem at times, but the surface is one which seems to suit our style and we will go there with some confidence of getting a result.”

Coldstream, who are enjoying a highly successful season, are also in King Cup action with a first round tie at home against Tynecastle.

The Streamers haven’t played for several weeks, but have been training regularly, and according to coaches they will go into the match full of optimism.

They look as if they may go into the match with two players missing from the squad, but they have plenty of cover and will be hopeful of making progress to the next round.