Hawick Waverley 1-2 Chirnside United

editorial image

Connor Lough scored the winner two minutes from time to secure Chirnside United’s second victory over Hawick Waverley in as many weeks.

This was the second time within a fortnight that these two teams had met in the league.

Chirnside came away with the points in what turned out to be a very exciting game played in a mud bath of a pitch.

After a goalless first half, Daniel Pattenden fired the visitors in front. But Hawick equalised and then piled on the pressure in search for a home win.

Chirnside survived thanks to some fantastic goalkeeping from Martin Todd and then grabbed a later winner.

It was Chirnside who should have taken an early lead after the Hawick defence claimed for offside but didn’t get it. Graham Kelly was unlucky after the ball hit his knee and went over the bar.

With Hawick on a shoot-on-sight mission they went close on four occasions without hitting the target.

An Adam Smith cross found Connor Lough, whose 16-yard shot hit a defender and came off the underside of the bar and down onto the line before it was cleared.

Hawick could have snatched the lead from a corner. With players slipping all over the place trying to clear, the ball and was eventually prodded past the post by a Hawick forward.

Kelly headed over the bar and Jake Lough had a shot from an acute angle well saved by the Hawick keeper at the near post to keep the score goal less at half time.

Chirnside had the better of the early stages in the second half and got the opening goal on 55 minutes when Pattenden swerved the ball round the Hawick wall into the bottom corner.

For the next half hour Hawick dominated, but the Chirnside defence stood solid. Hawick eventually did score the goal their play deserved after some good interplay in the box to open up the Chirnside defence after 75 minutes.

With 80 minutes gone Hawick should have got a second when a shot from 20 yards hit the post and rebounded out to an on rushing striker. But he slipped due to the muddy conditions, allowing Mikey Patterson to make the tackle and stop a certain goal.

At this point Chirnside would have settled for a point but with two minutes to go Joe Condy played a perfect through ball to Connor Lough, who slipped by his marker and slammed an unstoppable shot past the keeper to take all three points.