Hawick Royal Albert 3-0 Eyemouth United

editorial image

Hawick Royal Albert gained the bragging rights by barking the loudest in this battle of the bottom dogs.

The fishermen travelled through the borders for what was their first game since December 6, and with both sides in desperate need of points to improve their lowly First Division positions, it was once again going to be a tough encounter.

Eyemouth started the game well but despite their good play found themselves going behind when Hawick’s Michael Smith broke away on 15 minutes and hit a shot which was deflected over the top of the out coming Eyemouth keeper Mutch, who was left stranded while the ball hit the net.

This capped a memorable day for Smith, who that very morning had rescued a man from a burning house in Edinburgh.

Eyemouth then showed their mettle when Keith Buckley came close to netting with a glancing header on meeting an Aiden Lauder cross.

After Smith had been inches off target with a powerful header from a Nicky Cairns free-kick, Mutch denied the home men a second in saving well from Cairns, following good play between Nick Ramsay and Ronald Fleming.

Things got even more difficult for the fishermen when they had Marc Milligan sent off with the referee having no choice but to show him a straight red card for retaliating to what looked like a bad challenge.

United took this in their stride, though, and just on the interval Lauder was denied an equaliser by a save from new Albert keeper, Bruce Callan, an on-loan signing from Lothian Thistle, but at half-time Eyemouth trailed 1-0.

Eyemouth started the second half bright but as in the story of the season so far were struggling to find the net from their build up play.

But as the game went on it was the ever busy Hawick who got the next goal when Mutch committed himself to a through ball but was beaten to it by Hawick’s Liam O’Rourke, who made no mistake in sliding it past the keeper and into the net to make it 2-0.

Eyemouth’s day was made even worse when Jason Walker gave away a penalty late in the game leaving Nicky Cairns to make no mistake from the spot to make it 3-0 for the Albert Park team.

Eyemouth: Mutch, Wilson, Wylie, Walker, Speirs, Lauder, Jess, Milligan, Adamson, Buckley, Burrell.

* Duns’ game away to Ormiston was postponed on Saturday because of the weather.

* This season’s East of Scotland League ‘Player of the Year Dinner’ will be held on Friday, June 5 within the Edinburgh Masonic Club, 1 Shrub Place Lane Edinburgh EH6 4PA.

Guest speakers are Eric Davidson and AN Other (to be advised). The evening will be compered by Jim Murray, formerly of Vale of Leithen, Craigroyston and Spartans.