Eyemouth see off Selkirk despite second half fight

Eyemouth goal scorer Connor Lough in midfield against Selkirk.
Eyemouth goal scorer Connor Lough in midfield against Selkirk.
Share this article

Eyemouth United 3 Selkirk 2

Eyemouth gave themselves a three goal lead, but were still made to sweat as injuries and prospective suspensions clouded a win at Warner Park.

Manager Carl Hudson admitted that he missed his side’s first goal, coming before the second minute, as he was still putting his tie on in the dressing room.

“I heard the noise, and I thought ‘Oh, we can’t have conceded already,” he said.

When he emerged he was told his charges had taken the lead double quick, James Wilson’s good work and cross from the right being met by the head of Conor Lough.

After this breakthrough, Eyemouth enjoyed a good spell of possession football, before the game began to get “tetchy” in Hudson’s words, largely because of the conditions.

Eyemouth’s second came after Selkirk’s keeper came rushing out and failed to claim the ball, He was helpless to do anything but watch as Nicky Clark calmly lobbed both him and a covering defender.

The away keeper was also key to Eyemouth’s third, sprinting out again, only to bring down Steven Shennan. The offender was saved from a straight red by virtue of a defender again covering on the line, but that meant he was on the pitch to pick Shennan’s penalty out of the back of the net.

Despite the score, Hudson still felt that his team were lacking the smoothness and rhythm that they are capable of.

“To be honest, I’ve felt that we’ve been playing with a hangover since the Coldstream win,” he said.

“If they thought they were going to get congratulations at halftime, then they were mistaken,” said Hudson, and his fears were proved in the second half.

Hudson had warned his team against giving away free kicks to a tall and physical Selkirk team, but both the away goals came after knock downs from set-pieces. Early in the second half a Selkirk free kick was not cleared, allowing a relative tap-in to rekindle their hopes, and a corner five minute from time also ended up being bundled into the home goal.

Pressure was somewhat relieved when a rash tackle saw Selkirk go down to ten men.

However, there was further frustration for Eyemouth as top scorer Shennan was sent off late on, earning a second yellow card for kicking the ball away. He will miss next week’s home game against Easthouses.

Eyemouth United: Tansey, Sherry, Brown, Windrum, Walker, Clark, Bolton, Wilson, Phillips, Shennan, Lough. Subs: Aitchison, Jess.