Eyemouth lose out in thrilling cup tie

Phil Addison'Berwick Rangers v Rangers
Phil Addison'Berwick Rangers v Rangers

Gala Fairydean 5, Eyemouth United 2

After extra-time

THIS cracking King Cup tie produced eight goals, including five for Gala marksman Jack Hay, and eight cards, among them a crucial extra time red for Eyemouth’s George Windram, which gave the hosts the advantage to edge through.

The penalty award and sending off in extra time was probably the deciding factor in this Borders derby but Eyemouth have to be congratulated on the way they fought back from being beind on two occasions

Gala were deservedly ahead on eight minutes when another teenager, Billy Miller, set up Hay to score from close range.

Wasteful finishing and great goalkeeping from Adam Mutch meant Gala remained only one ahead at the break.

Hay could have had a first half hat-trick but spurned two superb openings, while Andrew Brown’s thunderbolt of a shot was brilliantly tipped over by Mutch.

Eyemouth’s best effort was a Mark Bolton free kick which found the side netting, while James Wilson sliced a shot wide when unmarked ten yards out.

But just two minutes after half time, The Fishermen were level as Mark Bolton’s diving header found the net, and Steven Shennan’s lob over Gala goalkeeper Elliot Turnbull on 59 minutes put Eyemouth on the road to another win at Netherdale, having beaten Gala 3-1 in the league just last month.

Yet, Gala’s attitude was far better on this occasion, and Hay led the comeback with a superb run and finish on 63 minutes.

Hay completed his hat-trick with a deflected 20-yard effort which looped into the top corner 21 minutes from full time.

The hosts looked comfortable but two minutes from time Gala’s defence did its best impression of Rangers’ backline by allowing Scott Adamson loads of time and space to control the ball and score.

So to extra time, and Hay was once again in the middle of the action as he was pulled down by Windram on 94 minutes when baring down on goal, leaving referee Duncan Smith with a simple decision to send off the centre half.

Gala had to wait until 38 seconds into the second half of extra time to take the lead, as Miller’s perfect pass found Hay to round Mutch for 4-3.

And the tattooed talent sealed the win with an identical goal on 114 minutes.

Eyemouth United: Mutch, Jess, Windfram, Spiers, Walker, Adamson, Brown, Wilson, Bolton, Phillips, Shennan. Subs - Clark, Sherry, Lough.