Eyemouth 2-3 Duns

editorial image
Share this article

Duns were celebrating after taking the derby honours with a hard fought 3-2 away win over Eyemouth on Saturday.

Gary Waddell scored the winning goal after the home side had clawed their way back from a 2-0 deficit.

It meant the visitors maintained their six-match unbeaten run in the East of Scotland first division, giving them their best start to a season for over 50 years.

Both teams started well attacking from end to end, yet goal chances were few with both defences sticking to their jobs

Referee Hanlon set out his stall early on with a booking for Duns fullback and Eyemouth’s Wilson, which was to prove costly later in the game.

Chances fell to Eyemouth’s Campbell and Duns’ Shennan and Robinson, but all failed to hit the target.

With the fishermen shading the first half Duns dealt a killer blow. As half time approached Leigh Walker broke down the left and his delivery into the box was cleared by Eyemouth, but only to the feet of Gary Wales, who slammed the ball goalwards and Mutch could only palm it into the back of his own net for Duns to lead 1-0 at the break

Duns went 2-0 up just five minutes into the second half when an Eyemouth free kick was cleared out to the half way line where Jason Walker mis-hit a return ball leaving Robinson to run through on goal.

Although his initial shot was saved by Mutch the ball rebounded off a post straight back to his feet and he netted his 16th of the season.

Eyemouth got themselves back in the game almost immediately, when Gavin Burrell found the ball at his feet inside Duns box and made no mistake to make it 2-1.

And five minutes later Eyemouths Aidan Lauder was fouled inside the Duns box after attacking the fullback and the same player stepped up and scored the resultant penalty. to make it 2-2.

With 67 minutes gone Duns got the deciding goal. A corner was cleared to the edge of the Eyemouth box where the substitute Gary Waddell had all the time in the world to pick his spot and he made no mistake it 2-3 .

The game ended with the fishermen losing two players. Sean Campbell with a broken collar bone and James Wilson to Mr Hanlon’s red card for a foul on Walker

Eyemouth: Mutch, Ford, Walker(Wyman),McInnes, Paddy (Adamson),Wilson, Jess, Lauder, Mark, Campbell, (Lough) Burrell.

Duns: S Wales, Burns, Walker, Ainslie, Windram, Chisholm, G Wales, Shennan, Tait, Robinson, Lauder. Subs Stewart, J Brydon, Waddell.