Experience counts for Eyemouth in derby win

East of Scotland League Division 1. Duns 0 Eyemouth Utd 2
East of Scotland League Division 1. Duns 0 Eyemouth Utd 2


Eyemouth United took the honours in Saturday’s East of Scotland League First Division Berwickshire derby clash against Duns at The Berwickshire High School.

Coach Andrew Dickson was in charge of the still managerless Dingers side and he was once again forced to field a very youthful side and the visitors took advantage to secure the league points.

Despite the difficult windy conditions both sides got the ball down and tried to play football which resulted in a fairly evenly matched first half.

The first real chance fell to Duns but Keiran Lee saw his rasping shot go just wide of the target.

At the other end Eyemouth went close but James Wilson’s effort was cleared off the line by full back Andrew Renton.

Chances were few and far between but it was the Fishermen who eventually broke the deadlock just before half-time when Stevie Shennan latched on to a through ball; to fire his shot past Duns keeper Connelly.

Eyemouth did not have it all their own way and Duns pushed the Eyemouth defence who were indecisive at times and with a bit of luck could have equalised.

As seems to be the norm at the moment Duns re-emerged after the break to immediately press the self destruct button.

However, on this occasion the perpetrator was not in red and black but the colours of the ref of the day, who after witnessing a challenge by skipper Gary Renton on Brown on the edge of the Duns box pointed to the spot and awarded a penalty.

t’s got to be said with the possible exception of a few from Eyemouth no one else present agreed or infact could fathom his rational behind the award. Alan Jess stepped up to take the spot kick and dispatched the ball into the net sending the keeper Connelly in the wrong direction.

As in previous weeks Eyemouth put themselves under needless pressure from poor passing and as a result of a poor pass from G. Windram, his defensive colleague K. Wood was left tracking back on a one to one with Duns substitute Chris Falconer.

Unfortunately for Wood he brought down the Duns player just outside the box and was promptly show a red card by the referee for being the last player.

Shaum McGregor sent the resultant free kick high and wide.

Eyemouth dug deep and got men back behind the ball when needed to frustrate Duns who threw everything into attack against the visitors’ ten men.

However, Eyemouth saw out the last 20 minutes to secure the three points.

Duns performance was more encouraging but a lack of edge up front remains a problem to be solved during this ongoing period of “managerial flux”

This Saturday Duns will have to be at their very best as they travel to East Mains, Ormiston, to take on league newcomers Hibs, kick-off 2.30pm.

Andrew Dickson is expected to take charge of the side again as the Dingers ciontinue their hunt for a new manager. Although the young side played with more passion on Saturday it is difficult to see where goals are going to come from.