Duns Amateurs manager Trickett resigns

Action from Chirnside's 3-1 win away to Duns Amateurs
Action from Chirnside's 3-1 win away to Duns Amateurs

Duns manager Alan Trickett has announced that he is standing down from the post with immediate effect. Assistant manager Paul Matthewson and Mark Dixon will now take temporary charge of the side.

Tricket resigned after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at home to Chirnside. Elsehwere, Greenlaw went down 5-1 at Pencaitland.

Duns Amateurs 1, Chirnside United 3

TWO goals by Adam Turner set Chirnside on the way to a comfortable victory in this local derby at Gavinton on Saturday.

It was one-way traffic in the first half and Turner opened the scoring after 12 minutes. Ryan Purves then added a second with the Duns defence caught flat-footed. The second half was a bit more evenly contested but the result was put beyond any doubt when Turner scored his second goal of the game.

Duns did grab a consolation goal late on when Jonny Waugh netted with a stunning long range strike.

This defeat was the last straw for Duns manager Alan Trickett who has announced that he is standing down from the post with immediate effect. Assistant manager Paul Matthewson and Mark Dixon will now take temporary charge of the side.

Pencaitland 5, Greenlaw 1

GREENLAW put in a better performance than the result would suggest in this entertaining encounter with Pencaitland.

The game started pretty evenly with both teams getting the ball down to play passing football. Pencaitland took the lead on 15 minutes when Greenlaw failed to clear a volley into their box and the striker put it into the goal. Five minutes later Pencaitland doubled their advantage when they broke down the left and a tremendous shot into the box was put into the net with a volley.

Greenlaw continued to press forward, with the best chance falling to William Smillie when he shrugged off the Pencaitland defence to beat the keeper with a shot that went just inches past the post.

The second half started badly for Greenlaw and they conceded twice in the opening five minutes. Greenlaw introduced all their substitutes and continued to battle, playing some good football in the middle of the park with Ross Smillie, Sean Spoor and Adam Smith linking up well. They started to create chances and Mark Long was twice through on goals but failed to hit the target.

With Greenlaw pushing for a goal they left themselves exposed at the back and Pencaitland made it five.

Greenlaw did get a consolation goal in the last 10 minutes when Pencaitland only half cleared a corner and Alan Redpath beat the keeper with an impressive scissor kick. Five minutes later Redpath hit another effort inches over the cross bar from a corner, and then had a penalty claim waved away when he was brought down in the box.

Chirnside Utd Colts 7, Gala Athletic 1

FOUR goals from midfielder Paul Blacklock helped Chirnside United Colts to clinch another three points on Saturday against a very physical Gala side.

It must be said that had Gala taken some of the chances which were presented to them in the first half, the scoreline could have been a lot closer.

The Colts got off to the best possible start scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes of the game.

The first came from a fine move from Michael Tweedie and Graham Patterson to send Paul Blacklock through on goal to nutmeg the keeper only for a defender to clear the ball off the line but Dan Romanes was alert to the situation and slammed the ball into the net to score his first goal after a two month lay off because of injury.

A free kick from Paul Blacklock found the top corner of the net after 10 minutes to make the score 2-0.

Gala pulled a goal back after breaking through a rather static Colts’ defence. Gala kept up the pressure and Matt Lawson and Ryan Wood had to work overtime to keep them at bay with Jason Lugget also pulling off two fine saves to keep the score at 2-1 at half time.

The Colts started the second half like a different team with Paul Blacklock stealing the limelight with a hat-trick much to the amazement of the crowd and his team mates.

But it was Dan Romanes who got on the score sheet again first when he sent a looping header over the keeper from 12 yards from a Daniel Pattenden cross. Paul Blacklock got the fourth goal when he hit a volley from 18 yards. A free kick from Mattie Lawson was fumbled by the keeper and Blacklock pounced on the loose ball to score his third goal and the team’s fifth. The Colts sixth goal was scored by Graeme Turner who picked up the ball in midfield and unleashed a shot from 30 yards to rifle into the top corner of the net.

The final goal of the game was scored by that man Blacklock again when Jordan Blaikie set him up at the near post.