Crawford double gets Coldstream back on track

editorial image
Share this article

Coldstream 2, Ormiston 1

Captain John Crawford scored a double as Coldstream got back to winning ways to extend their lead at the top of the First Division, but they were made to work hard for the narrow victory by opponents who are bottom of the table.

After losing momentum with a draw at Kelso United, followed by their first league defeat of the season at Easthouses Lily, Andrew Gibson’s men were under pressure to get three points on the board.

Crawford’s double did just that, signalling their intent as title challengers.

Andrew Gibson’s men went into this game missing several key players, but still managed to come out on top thanks to their prolific skipper.

A minute’s silence was observed for former Coldstream striker Spuddie McElrath, who sadly passed away recently. He was a prolific forward in the 1950s and will always be remembered as a brilliant goalscorer at the club.

A flurry of snow threatened the match from kick-off with all of the lines needing swept which resulted in various stoppages in play. With the white ball almost invisible in parts it was tough for any sort of flowing football.

Ormiston went close from a corner as a well-worked ball to the edge of the area saw a shot whistle just over the crossbar.

They then had another tipped around the post with the Streamers keeper determined to keep them at bay.

At the other end, Crawford spun to hit wide before Greg McCrudden tested the keeper from distance. Michael Allan also had a go, but his effort was gathered at the second attempt.

The visitors had a header cleared off the line by Lawrie Cannon before conceding at the other end just before the interval.

Allan released Cannon, who beat three players before finding Crawford. He sent the keeper the wrong way, firing the ball into the near post side of the goal.

Coldstream should have doubled their lead through Kris O’Neil, who was orchestrating many attacks. The ex-Hearts striker showed some brilliant touches and was unfortunate not to net his first goal from open play.

Ormiston always posed a threat and could of levelled had a set piece not been sent just off target.

It was Crawford, however, who settled the nerves, acrobatically converting Kieran Ainslie’s knockdown to double the lead.

Despite being in control the Streamers still managed to make it hard for themselves, conceding with just four minutes remaining. Walters saved from point blank range, but could do nothing with the rebound which was hit into the roof of the net out of reach.

Coldstream: M Walters, J McLeod, M Allan, K Ainslie, L Cannon, J Hebdon, G McCrudden, L Lambert, S Coyle, K O’Neil, J Crawford. Subs: C Heugh, S Simpson, A Gibson, R Baxendale.