Coldstream 1-6 Leith Athletic

Coldstream's Josh Hebdon is crowded out by the leith midfield. Picture: Kimberley Powell
Coldstream's Josh Hebdon is crowded out by the leith midfield. Picture: Kimberley Powell

Just when it looked like Leith were running out of ideas, a red card shown to Coldstream goalkeeper Mark Walters turned this game completely on its head.

Stevie Gibbard’s side were in the driving seat when the pivotal moment of the match arrived in the 65th minute. With striker Sean Simpson forced to go in goal, the Streamers then conceded six goals in the last 25 minutes.

Leading 1-0 thanks to a first-half strike from captain John Crawford, the men in blue were compact and relatively comfortable, even though their opponents had more of the ball.

With half an hour left, Coldstream supporters were beginning to think that their team were about to do an unlikely double over the runaway East of Scotland League Premier Division leaders.

Two weeks after knocking Leith out of the South Challenge Cup at Home Park in Gibbard’s first game in charge – becoming the first team to beat them all season – here were Coldstream threatening to do it again.

They went ahead when Jonny Simpson’s square pass found Crawford in space and his effort from 20 yards deflected off the legs of a Leith defender and beat Iain Gordon.

But 20 minutes into the second half, it all changed. Leith’s Gary Black picked up the ball wide and played it inside to Euan Campbell.

Walters charged out to meet his clip into the box, but Kenny Hall just got to the ball first before being brought down by the Coldstream goalkeeper.

The home bench could have little complaint about the award of the penalty, but they were furious about the red card.

Simpson took over in goal and brilliantly turned Lauder’s penalty onto the crossbar. But Chris Beaton was first to react and struck home from just eight yards to equalise.

Leith made the extra man count, taking the lead in the 70th minute when Lewis Martin’s tame effort somehow found its way into the net. It was 3-1 five minutes later when Jamie Lauder curled home a free-kick.

Keith Murray scored the first of his quick-fire double in the 77th minute to signal a collapse. Stephen Baigan completed the rout in injury time.

Coldstream: Walters, Powling (Graham 82), Rutherford, Allan, Ainslie, Dixon, J Simpson (MacKinnon 75), Hebdon, Crawford, S Simpson, Heugh. Sub not used: Gibbard.