Chirnside Utd Colts 5-2 Tweedmouth Ams

Border Amateur League teams: Chirnside Colts v Tweedmouth Amateurs in the Sanderson Cup
Border Amateur League teams: Chirnside Colts v Tweedmouth Amateurs in the Sanderson Cup

This was the fourth time these two teams had played each other this season but unlike the three previous occasions Chirnside Colts won this game quite convincingly.

And as it was a cup competition - the Sanderson Cup - it meant the Colts progressed through to the next round.

Joe Condy opened the scoring after just five minutes after a long goal kick by Keeper Jason Lugget from which he controlled first time and slid it past the advancing keeper.

The Colts continued to dominate for the next half hour and had other scoring opportunities through Jake Lough and Daniel Pattendean both making the keeper pull off some fine saves.

The referee disallowed a goal after a shot from Lee Hannan hit the underside of the bar and bounced over the line and was cleared but the referee was not in a position to see it and played on.

After 35 minutes Tweedmouth scored through Powling after a well worked corner which was the first of the game. Just two minutes later Tweedmouth almost scored again from the same move but this time the Colts were wiser and the corner was cleared.

Lee Hannan scored a magnificent goal from 25 yards after he and Condy linked up well together to make the score 2 – 1.

A corner from Matt Lawson was fumbled by the Keeper and the ever alert and agile Graham Patterson pounced on the loose ball to make the score 3 – 1 at half time.

The Colts continued to dominate the game and should really have been a lot more goals to the good, but for a combination of some good goal keeping and goal line clearances, especially a shot from Joe Condy and two great efforts from Daniel Pattendean.

Up at the other end Tweedmouth were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal and a superb strike from midfielder Powling gave keeper Lugget no chance and made the score 3–2.

It took left back Luke Turner to show the forwards how it should be done when he chipped in with two late goals one from a slick pass by Jake Lough and the other from a great move from Daniel Pattendean from which Turner volleyed home.

Turner might have had a hat-trick from the penalty spot after Jordan Wood was brought down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot, but once again the Tweedmouth keeper pulled off a fine save to make the final score 4–2, the Colts going through to the next round of the competition.