Chirnside Utd 5-2 Ancrum

Chirnside United
Chirnside United
Share this article

Chirnside United came from behind to secure another three points in their quest for the Border Amateur League A Division title with a hard-fought victory over Ancrum at Comrades Park.

Dod Blaikie’s men now have only two league games remaining against Leithen Rovers and Hawick Waverley, and it looks as though they will need to win them both to clinch the title.

Chirnside had lost the previous two encounters against the visitors and were looking to make amends, despite missing Robbie Armstrong, Graham Kelly, Jamie Logie and Kevin Strachan from the previous weekend’s starting line up.

Chirnside kicked off with the wind behind their backs and Jack Windram and Ryan Purves both had good efforts well saved by the keeper early on. Duncan Morrison had the next opportunity, but saw his shot come back off the post following a corner from the right. Blaikie then had a shot blocked by the keeper’s legs after a good run by Windram down the wing.

Despite the early pressure, it was Ancrum who took the lead on the 20-minute mark when Langford was first to react to a fumble from Todd to shoot home from close range.

Chirnside did not let their heads go down and ten minutes later they were on level terms when Windram scored after his initial effort was blocked.

Five minutes later the home side took the lead when Jamie Stobie crossed a ball into the box that saw Joe Condy challenge the keeper and the midfielder made the slightest of touches to the ball to see it only just drop over the line.

Ancrum were back on level terms five minutes into the second half. A break down Chirnside’s right left the home defence stretched and the cut back was finished well by Langford for his second of the day.

The visitors looked the hungrier of the two teams at this stage and a long-range shot by Robinson was gathered up by Martin Todd at the second attempt with the wet conditions helping to hold the ball up on the goalline.

Chirnside needed a goal from somewhere and it arrived when captain Morrison rose the highest at the back post to head home a corner from Adam Turner.

The goal was slightly against the run of play, but it gave the home team confidence and Turner fired home a cross from Windram with 15 minutes left to play for his team’s fourth goal of the day.

Turner finished off a good day for himself and the team when he stroked the ball home with his left foot.