Chirnside manager Blaikie seals victory with late goal

Late winner: Dod Blaikie
Late winner: Dod Blaikie

Chirnside United 2, Greenlaw 0

Chirnside manager Dod Blaikie came on to seal victory with an injury-time goal after Keir Blaikie was taken off with a broken nose. Adam Turner was also on target for the home side.

Both teams were playing their first league match of 2013.

The home side started the brighter of the two sides and got an early foothold in the game having the lion’s share of the possession.

It was Greenlaw, however, that had the first half chance of the game but Todd in the Chirnside goal tipped the ball around the post after a good shot from the Greenlaw midfielder.

Chirnside soon began to dominate and began to make their possession tell as chances were created. K. Blaikie had the first clear cut chance of the half, but he headed wide of the mark after a cross from Young.

Windram then missed a sitter after a good shot from Adam Turner was well saved by the Greenlaw keeper but Windram skied the rebound from ten yards with the goal gaping.

Greenlaw then went close on the counter but their midfielder saw his shot cannon off the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Chirnside then suffered the same fate minutes later when Adam Turner cut inside from the left only to see his shot tipped onto the bar by the keeper. Adam Turner then went one better after a good through ball by Young, slotting the ball into the net to put the home side ahead.

Despite having most of the possession Chirnside failed to increase their lead before half time.

The second half began in much the same fashion as the first had ended but Chirnside let half chances slip from J. Turner and Adam Turner.

Greenlaw started to come into the game as the affects of the festive period started to take its toll on Chirnside but despite their pressure no clear cut chances were created.

Chirnside did continue to create chances on the break but again Armstrong and Adam Turner failed to capitalise.

Greenlaw then thought they had equalised but the whistle had already gone for offside.

Chirnside lost Keir Blakie to a broken nose after a clash with his teammate Wilson and this saw manager D. Blaikie introduced to the fray and the impact was almost immediate as in injury time Blaikie tapped in from close range to wrap the game up after his first shot was blocked.

Duns Amateurs 1, Leithen Rovers 4

Duns Amateurs returned to action with their first match in six weeks but made an early exit from the Beveridge Cup losing to Leithen Rovers.

The visitors started the sharper of the two teams and raced into a two goal lead through strikes by Thompson and McMath.

Duns gradually hauled themselves back into the game and halved Rovers’ lead. After a bit of a scramble Robin Brown picked out Dean Carruthers who took his time and coolly chipped Watson.

However, Rovers then scored just before half time through Brunton to make the score 3-1

The Dingers started the second half the stronger side but couldn’t create many clear cut chances.

The home side’s task was made even greater when they lost keeper Cam Strorrar to injury and Chris Faulkner took over in goal.

Rovers finished Duns off when Forrest made it 4-1 with a close range header from a corner.

Duns almost got a late consolation goal with Burns going close twice.