CFC Bowholm 0-5 Chirnside Utd Colts: C Division title secured

Chirnside United Colts
Chirnside United Colts
Share this article

Chirnside United Colts clinched the Border Amateur League C Division title on Saturday with an emphatic win over CFC Bowholm.

This was the Colts’ last league game of the season and it was a game they had to win to take the title, with Earlston and Kelso waiting in the wings for them to slip up.

The Colts got off to the best possible start by scoring after just five minutes from their first corner. It was taken by Matt Lawson and finished off by Dan Romanies with a powerful header at the back post.

That goal seemed to ease the tension which was clearly visible amongst this young Colts team and they settled down to play some good football on a very wet pitch.

Joe Condy was played in by his co-striker Jordan Wood to go one on one with the keeper with the keeper coming out on top of that particular duel. A free kick from 25 yards out by Lee Hannan was well saved by the keeper and he also saved well from a Luke Turner shot.

Apart from the odd corner and free kick, the Colts defence were never really tested by the Bowholm strikers.

With the rain pouring down the pitch started to look like a ploughed field and good football was at a premium.

Daniel Pattenden put the Colts 2-0 up after 50 minutes from a pass from Graham Patterson, with Pattenden sliding the ball past the advancing keeper.

The third goal came from the penalty spot after the Bowholm keeper brought down Joe Condy. Lee Hannan scored from the resulting spot kick.

Bowholm nearly pulled a goal back following a great cross into the box from the left, but the ball got stuck in the mud and Ryan Wood nipped in to clear just before the Bowham striker.

With 20 minutes left Jake Lough fired in a cross from the left only for the Bowholm centre half to head the ball into his own net to make the score 4-0.

The best goal of the game came with 10 minutes remaining and it involved no less than six players and six passes, the final one delivered by Paul Blacklock to Sean Lackenby, who thundered in a shot from a tight angle which hit the far post and went into the net.