Border Amateur League round-up

Border Amateur League Division C. Tweedmouth Amateurs 3 v 2 Duns Reserves
Border Amateur League Division C. Tweedmouth Amateurs 3 v 2 Duns Reserves

A look at the games featuring local sides in the Border Amateur League.



Tweedmouth returned to action for the first time since December 14, and immediately got on the winning trail with a 3-2 home victory over Duns.

Following some confusion over a potential clash of sock colours, Tweedmouth started firmly on the front foot taking the game immediately to the visitors and they could have easily been two up after the first 15 minutes.

But they seemed to take their foot off the gas and Duns began to have the better of the possession and created some fine chances themselves, only to find goalkeeper Cain in fine form to deny them any opportunity.

As a result the teams went into the break with the sides deadlocked at 0-0.

The Tweedmouth half-time talk consisted mainly on a lack of energy and movement. They knew more was required in the second period, but it was Duns who draw first blood, taking the lead through Steven Burns just three minutes after the restart.

This spurred the home side on and following a fine one-two with Nicky Clark, Phillips equalised with the visitors only managing to hold on to the lead for ten minutes.

The home side then made a change with Lambert being introduced to provide some much needed extra firepower up front.

Following what could only be described as an error of judgement, Cain found himself wanting and the visitors took the lead for the second time in the match, Burns grabbing his second, but again their celebrations were to be premature as Wood equalised almost straight away with a powerful header.

With both sides pressing for a winner, the ascendancy, however, was with the home side and the returning Powling found his cross-shot end up in the roof of the net on 75 minutes to give Tweedmouth all three points, and maintain their push for promotion.

Tweedmouth showed great spirit, desire and character and this is something that they need to build on in the coming weeks.

The match was sponsored by Sisters and Cafe Crema.

* Elsewhere in the Border Amateur League the majority of fixtures fell victim to the weather. Chirnside United Colts managed to play in the B Division but they were beaten 4-1 at home by Gala Hotspur. And in the Waddell Cup Linton Hotspur got the better of St Boswells 4-3 on penalties after they had drawn 6-6.



Gordon missed out on a chance to reach the last eight of the South of Scotland Amateur Cup when they were beaten 5-2 by Carluke Hearts on Saturday.

The game had already been postponed on two previous occasions, and it looked as if the fixture might fall by the wayside for a third time, until the venue was switched to the 10,000 capacity Excelsior Stadium, the nearby home of Scottish League One outfit Airdrieonians.

It turned out to be quite a physical affair and there wasn’t a lot between the sides in the first half, with the ‘home’ team establishing a 2-1 lead through Carruthers and Frame.

Carluke took an early lead, but Gordon managed to equalise with Poole netting after a Gillie corner was headed onto the crossbar.

The home side went 2-1 up just five minutes before half-time, and right on the half-time whistle Porter went close, only to see his 20 yard volley tipped around for a corner.

In the second half Gordon thought they had equalised when a looping header from another Gillie corner looked as if it had crossed the line.

The Gordon players thought the defender was at least two yards behind the line when he cleared the ball, but the referee waved play on.

The Berwickshire side continued to press for an equaliser, but with five minutes to go they were caught on the break and Carluke made it 3-1.

The visitors responded immediately and pulled a goal back when Gillie crossed and Poole netted his second of the game with a bullet header.

Again Gordon threw men forward in an attempt to salvage something from the match, but they were caught twice in injury-time, Carluke netting their fourth and fifth goals in the 92nd and 93rd minutes, with match-winner Frame going on to complet his hat-trick for the victorious home side.

* Greenlaw’s third round tie in the South of Scotland Cup against Avondale was once against postponed because of the weather - there was still a covering of snow on the Happer Park pitch.