Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image
Share this article

A look at the games involving local sides in the Border Amateur League.



Both teams gave their all in this bottom half of the table clash and on this performance it surely won’t be long before both teams start climbing back up the league.

A mix up in the Chirnside defence gave Waverley an early goal when Stevie Christie dived into a tackle and the striker knocked the ball past him to stroke the ball past a rather static Martin Todd in the Chirnside goal.

This gave the Waverley a boost and they put the Chirnside defence under a fair bit of pressure for the next 15 minutes but they stood firm after their early mix up especially Mickey Patterson who had his best game in a Chirnside jersey so far this season.

The game flowed from end to end with both teams committed to attack but neither keeper had to make any real saves. Chirnside got the equaliser five minutes from half time from a well worked move down the left hand side of the pitch resulting in Adam Smith drilling the ball across the face of the goal for Graham Kelly to slide in and knock the ball over the line.

Chirnside took the lead 10 minutes into the second half after Adam Turner played the ball back from the bye line to Robbie Armstrong to cross an inch perfect ball to the back post for Adam Smith to jump about twice his height to head in a superb goal.

Waverley got back into the game from the penalty spot after Robbie Armstrong lost possession of the ball in the last third of the park allowing the Waverley number 10 to run through on goal where Duncan Morrison slid in to make the tackle from which the referee deemed to be a penalty making the score 2–2 with 20 minutes to go.

This gave the Waverley a lift again and only two great saves from Martin Todd stopped them from taking the lead. Chirnside rallied again and a solo run from Graham Kelly should have brought Chirnside a penalty after he was clearly fouled in the box but the referee awarded the free kick outside the area.

A long goal kick deceived the Waverley defence and Connor Lough took full advantage of this to run through and beat the keeper to the ball and stroke the ball through his legs into the net to make the score 3 -2.

With 10 minutes of the game left another good cross from Armstrong into the box resulted in Chirnside getting their fourth when young Jake Lough met it at the back post to hit it on the volley giving the keeper no chance.



Tweedmouth returned to league action following their Collie Cup success the previous week.

The home side started the game well and it was no surprise when they struck first through debutant Stewart Wright after Jay Clark’s effort from close range was blocked.

Tweedmouth continued to press and scored their second following a mistake from the Kelso goalkeeper to put them two up inside 16 minutes.

They continued to have the lion’s share of possession and made it three before the break when Phillips found himself with time and space to shoot speculatively from all of 25 yards, only for the ball to bounce through the goalkeepers legs into the back of the net.

In the second half the home side never really got going and a dubious penalty was awarded to the visitors. Goalkeeper Cain saved brilliantly only for the Kelso player to follow up the rebound and tap home.

This gave Kelso some heart and they made a fist of it up until the 70th minute when Tweedmouth scored again following a poor clearance from the away goalkeeper which rebounded of Tweedmouth centre half Fairbairn and end the game as a contest,

Substitute Hope almost scored following an impressive run only to see his shot well saved. This was an excellent first half performance from Tweedmouth but they must maintain their concentration do better in the latter stages of games.

Match sponsored by the Brewer’s Arms.



Eyemouth recorded back to back wins with a well ground out result away to Linton.

Eyemouth went 1-0 down but clawed back with goals from Jamie Logie and Jeff Collin to secure the three points.

It wasn’t the best of games but an important three points nonetheless, which should give the Berwickshire side a lot of confidence going into next week’s Wright Cup final against Hawick, which will be played at Duns’ New Hawthorn Park.



Gordon progressed to the next round of the South Cup on Saturday, but they did it the hard way after conceding another goal in the first minute.

The Berwickshire side grew into the game and they eventually drew level after 15 minutes with a goal from Tait.

It was 1-1 at half-time, but in the second half Gordon started to assert their authority on the match and two goals from Porter and another from Gillie put them in the driving seat at 1-4.

Newtongrange pulled a goal back near the end, but Craig Livingstone’s side held out for a comfortable victory.



Duns exited the South Cup on Saturday when they were beaten by Jed Legion.

The home side secured their passage into the next round thanks, in the main, to a first half hat-trick from star of the show Nathan Gillie.

His goals helped his side establish a commanding 3-0 lead.

Duns pulled a goal back just before the break when Jamie Lackenby went through unopposed to slot past Sean Jack in the Legion goal, but after the break they were unable to maintain the momentum and Jed again dictated play.

The home side hit the woodwork twice before extending their lead through Sean Wood after Gillie had robbed a Duns defender on the edge of his own box before unselfishly squaring to his strike partner for an easy tap in.

Both teams had further opportunities to score before Lackenby scored his second of the afternoon from the spot in the final minute of the game, which was of scant consolation for the visitors.

* In the Border Amateur League B Division the game between Coldstream Amateurs and Hawick Legion was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Heavy rain throughout Friday forced the postponement of a number of games across various competitions involving teams from the league.

In the C Division Lauder romped to a comprehensive 6-1 home win over CFC Bowholm.



Greenlaw progressed to the next round of the South Cup with a hard fought victory over Ancrum.

Greenlaw started the better of the two sides and were unlucky not to take the lead after 10 minutes when William Smillie shot wide from the edge of the area.

Smillie then had another few good chances to allow Greenlaw to take the lead but some good goalkeeping kept the game level.

Chris Black was denied a goal when the keeper again produced a fine save from a close range header.

With little defending to do for the visitors it became a midfield battle which Hannan and Whellans came out best.

In the second half Greenlaw continued to push and on 55 minutes they were rewarded when James Thomson flashed a ball over the six yard line which was smashed into the back of the net by Dean Carruthers.

Greenlaw continued to push for another through Patton but some good defending by Ancrum kept him at bay.

With nothing to lose Ancrum pushed forward and forced a lot of corners against Greenlaw.

They never took advantage of any of them as Dunn, Hogarth and Sutherland proved too strong.

* The teams who have qualified for the third round of the South Cup are:

Avondale, Carluke Baps, Gala FR, Glenmuir Thistle, Gordon, Greenlaw, Hawick United, Jed Legion, Leithen Rovers, Pathead, Pencaitland.

Several other ties have still to be played after being postponed due to the weather.