Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image
Share this article

A look at the games featuring local sides this week.



In the first round of the South Cup, Greenlaw played their first home game in a number of weeks to a hardy Tranent side, but managed to come through with a victory.

The game started as expected, with a lot of heavy challenges flying in from the visitors.

The young Greenlaw side stood up to it though and after 15 minutes they opened the scoring when the in-form Hannan drove down the right to cut the ball back to the oncoming Smillie, who finished tidily in the top corner.

It wasn’t long before Greenlaw made it two, again Hannan down the right, this time cutting the ball back to Carruthers, who finished well.

Tranent had a real opportunity to get a goal back when their striker was played in but Simmonds in the Greenlaw goal was equal to his shot.

The second half started with Greenlaw again the stronger of the two sides, both Smillies and Aaron Whellen’s dominating the midfield battle with the visitors doing little to trouble Culham and Dunn in the Greenlaw defence.

The third goal came on the hour mark when, once again, Hannan provided an inch-perfect cross which was met by Dunn at the back post, and his powerful header left the keeper with no chance.

The game was more or less sealed 10 minutes after this when Patton strode down the right flank to fire a low cross to Long, who duly laid it off to Smillie to score his second of the day to make it 4-0 for the home side.

With 10 minutes to go Tranent were given a lifeline when a hard cross struck Hogarth on the hand and the referee had no option but to point to the spot. The penalty was neatly slotted home but it wasn’t enough for Tranent.



Coldstream put up a brave fight in the South Cup when they travelled through to Innerleithen to take on Leithen Rovers on Saturday.

It was never going to be an easy trip as Rovers have won the trophy three times in the past five years and are the current holders.

The first half was evenly balanced, but it was the Amateurs who made an early breakthrough, Simpson giving the visitors the lead after only five minutes with a neat finish.

McCann and Ford were winning the engine room battle, but Leithen, when given time, were pleasing on the eye.

Shearlaw was deceptively quick whenever he had control of the ball and McMath was a constant danger.

Leithen deservedly equalised through McMath in a move involving Shearlaw and Swanston. The hosts then went ahead after 30 minutes, when Shearlaw, twisted on the 18 yard box and fooled Hawkey before finding the net.

The second half was dominated by the hosts but Coldstream stuck to their task and closed down Leithen at every opportunity.

Treibel made two fine saves from Forrest and McVicar. Unfortuately, Leithen’s pressure told and Forrest slammed home from six yards after good work from Patterson.

Then the moment of the match came when Fairley played in Ledgerwood down the right channel and from fully 30 yards he produced a volley that dipped over Watson’s head into the net.

With ten minutes to go it was game on. The magic nearly happened when Simpson burst through only for Flemming to produce an outstanding block when an equaliser was imminent.

Simpson then missed another chance when McGregor crossed but he just couldn’t stretch to reach it.

The inevitable then happened when Leithen killed the game off with five minutes to go with a simple goal.

* Elsewhere in the South Cup first round there were wins for Gordon and Duns Amateurs, whilst there was a defeat for Eyemouth Amateurs.

Gordon beat Linton Hotspur 7-2 at home, whilst Duns edged out Gala Hotspur 2-1, also at home.

Eyemouth went down 4-0 away to Avendale, although the scoreline flattered the home side slightly as Eyemouth gave a good account of themselves.

The game between Biggar United and Chirnside United was postponed and will be re-arranged.

The second round games in the South Cup, to be played on November 15, are:

Stow v West Barns Star; Lochmabon v Leithen Rovers; Ancrum v Greenlaw; Avendale, walkover v Newtown;

Carluke Hearts v Forth Community; Pathead v Langholm Legion; Gala Fairydean Rovers v Biggar United or Chirnside; Dalmore United v Shotts Victoria;

Hawick United v Law Parish Church; Tweeddale Rovers v Melrose; Carluke Baps v East Linton; Newtongrange Star A v Gordon;

Jed Legion v Duns Reserves; St Boswells v North Berwick; Easthouses v Pencaitland; Seton Community v Glenmuir Thistle.



Tweedmouth travelled to Hawick on Saturday and returned with another three points safely in the bag to cement their position at the top of the Border Amateur League C League.

Conditions were somewhat tricky, but,the away side adapted quickly to this and had the better of the possession although they were unable to breach the stubborn Hawick defence.

A tactical change was made in midfield to give Tweedmouth some extra energy and this was to pay off as they continued to press the home side and got their reward right on half time from a free kick taken by Nicky Clark.

The ball was spilled by the goalkeeper and MacPherson was quick to react to give the away side the lead.

The second half began in more or less the same fashion with Phillips bossing the midfield, but again Tweedmouth were unable to force a second goal,

Tweedmouth brought on Gibb and Bugiel with Gibb making an instant impact, dispatching his header following a well taken corner from Gibson,

The visitors were now in the ascendancy and following a first class delivery by Gibb, which found Cornish, he netted to make it three and end the game effectively as a contest.

This was a hard working performance from Tweedmouth and they should take great credit for the manner in which they approached the game as Hawick has never been a happy hunting ground for them in the past.

Tweedmouth take a break from league action this week with a return to cup action in the semi final of the Collie Cup away to Duns.

* In the B League Chirnside United Colts were involved in a nine goal thriller when they travelled to take on Langholm Legion.

Unfortunately, the Colts returned empty handed after going down narrowly by five goals to four.