Border Amateur League round-up

editorial image
Share this article

A look at the games featuring local sides in the Border Amateur League.



Tweedmouth entertained St Boswells at the Five Arches in a fixture which was reversed due to the St Boswells pitch being waterlogged.

With the home side missing players through unavailability and injury, the squad was tested to the full, with young Teejay Gibson and Aaron Hope both handed starts.

Tweedmouth started brightly and opened the scoring on the five minute mark with a fine cross from Matty Clark was met by defender Martin Cornish, who headed in from six yards.

This was to prove to be the catalyst for the home side as they stepped things up albeit slowly at first.

Nicky Clark found himself in space with time to cross for Hope to score with a well executed header from inside 18 yards.

Tweedmouth continued to take a further grip of the match mainly due to them pressing high up the pitch, putting the away side under pressure and winning possession back quickly.

This was rewarded when a shot from the edge of the box found its way into the net after a slight deflection from the away defender, putting the home side three up going into the half time break.

Tweedmouth started the second period in much the same fashion with Matty Clark finding Sean Philips to put the score beyond St Boswells reach.

A number of changes were made including a debut for new signing Macpherson.

Tweedmouth continued to stay in control and had it not been for some outstanding saves from the St Boswells keeper the score-line could have been greater.

However, chances continued to be made and Nicky Clark found Philips to score his second.

St Boswells replied with a consolation only for the hard working Nicky Clark to again provide the pass for Hope to tap in easily at the back post.

This was a solid performance from Tweedmouth and they will be looking to maintain this next week when they take a break from league action with a cup match at home against Biggar.



Coldstream netted the only goal of the first half through Darren Simpson, but Sean Owens equalised fro Hawick with a header.

After Ross Scott had put Hawick ahead, Coldstream had a player red carded.

Scott then slotted away a third for United.

In the closing stages Coldstream were reduced to nine men when a second player was sent off.



Following a goalless first half Michael Moir edged Rovers ahead with a free kick.

Moir then added to Rovers tally when slotting away a penalty and he duly completed his hat trick with a well struck drive..



Greenlaw travelled north to Bannockburn for their second round Scottish Cup tie in terrible conditions and without a goalkeeper.

The game did get off to the worst possible start when the flexible Jay Paterek, who went in goal, was dispossessed at the edge of his area allowing the Milton striker to roll the ball home.

Greenlaw never let this bother them and were soon pushing forward with some quick breaks from Patton and Carruthers, who were unlucky not score.

The home side continued to dominate procession and if it wasn’t for some great defending and crucial blocks from Ross Smillie and Aaron Whellans in the midfield it could have been more.

Just after the half it was 2-0 though when the Milton striker again latched on to a through ball to score.

With nothing to lose Greenlaw now were causing Milton a lot of problem through William Smillie down the right and he soon grabbed a goal back, slotting under the keeper from close range.

This never lasted, however, as Milton went back up the other end and scored a third from a great far post header. They added a fourth after 75 minutes, when their striker again defied the offside trap to put the ball past the out coming Paterek.

With moments to go Greenlaw did go close, hitting the bar and the post from good efforts from Whellans but it wasn’t to be.

Next week Greenlaw face Jed Legion in a game from which three points are essential.



Chirnside United’s Division A title defence suffered another blow with a home defeat which leaves them pointless and near the foot of the table.

It couldn’t have started any worse for the home team, going a goal down within the first few minutes. A scuffed shot by Gass was picked up by H Steele and he shot past Todd from close range.

Stow had the ball in the net again ten minutes later but the effort was chalked off. Chirnside thought they had equalised, but Kelly’s shot was cleared off the line. Adam Turner’s follow up was blocked on the line and Patterson saw his effort deflected wide for a corner.

That was the closest Chirnside came in the first half. Stow could have added to their lead, but Todd in the home goal made a number of decent saves.

Five minutes into the second half and Chirnside turned the game around with two quick-fire goals from Kelly.

The first came after a cross from the left was met by the striker at the back post and the second came when he met a long kick from Todd to stroke the ball past the keeper.

Ten minutes later Stow got back on level terms through J Steele. The away side went back into the lead on the hour mark when manager Young met a corner from the right and angled his header into the roof of the net. Chirnside’s Paterson nearly put the ball into his own net but the ball came back off the bar.

With 20 minutes to go Stow added a fourth when Crawford stabbed home from close range.

Chirnside pulled a goal back with a neat finish from Adam Turner just inside the box to ensure a tense finish, but the closest the home team came to salvaging a point was a free-kick from Robbie Armstrong but his effort went just over the bar.



Table-topping Legion got off to a flying start, scoring twice in the opening minutes through Scott Duncan and Andrew McFarlane.

Chirnside pulled one back.But Mark Deans restored Legion’s lead and they went further ahead through Duncan with McFarlane adding a fifth before half-time. In the second period Callum Hope tucked away a penalty and Lavery followed this up with a seventh.



Eyemouth took all three points with a deserved victory. They were the better side throughout and won the match with goals from Collin, Patterson, Brown and Crawford.