Berwick Rangers Res 3-1 Easthouses Lily

Berwick Rangers Reserves v Easthouses Lily. Picture by Kimberley Powell
Berwick Rangers Reserves v Easthouses Lily. Picture by Kimberley Powell
Share this article

Injury-hit Berwick Reserves drafted in three players from Edinburgh amateurs Lochend Under 21s for this Qualifying League game at Shielfield.

Realistic first half scoring chances were two apiece. Easthouses’ fell to the Browns. Craig missed an open goal after John Hunter crossed from the left whilst brother Mark’s lack of composure at the far post denied him a goal after the ball came over fom the other side of the penalty area.

It took Berwick almost half an hour to win their first corner but only keeper John Falconer’s fingertips prevented Ben Miller’s inswinger going in. Near the break, Miller’s free kick was headed against the bar by Dean Carse leaving the first half goalless.

The visitors should have broken the deadlock seconds into the new half when Alistair Elliot was presented with a chance after the ball bobbed around the goal area but he wasted it by shooting well wide. Soon afterwards, the burly Hunter fared better, scoring directly from a 25 yard free kick.

As part of an all round assured goalkeeping display, Rangers’ Kieran Beveridge closed down Mark Brown as he bore down on goal before Berwick equalised on 65 minutes. Stephen Anderson’s through ball set up a race for possession between Falconer and Carse. The Berwick man won and confidently struck the ball home from a narrow angle.

Twenty minutes later, Elliot looked poised to seal it for Easthouses when he was clean through after Berwick were caught on the hop but, with another costly miss, he fired wide once more.

Berwick went on to score twice in the last minute. An attempted clearance from Easthouses was blocked by Jonny Fairbairn, moved into midfield for this game with Lochend’s Jamie Todd partnering Allan Hay in central defence. The ball dropped to Carse who promptly doubled his tally.

The icing on the cake was a low drive by another of the Lochend boys, Kevin Hamilton, which Falconer let slip through his hands before it rolled over the line.

The result leaves the Reserves with thirteen points from six matches and with a real prospect of qualifying for the League Cup later in the season.

Earlier in the week Berwick had gone down 1-0 to Quieen of the South in aReserve League fixture in Dumfries.

Berwick Res: Beveridge, Saunderson (Smith 59), Todd, Hay, Brady, Fairbairn, Anderson, Finlayson, Miller, Carse, Meikle (Hamilton 64).