A round-up from the Border Amateur League

editorial image
Share this article

A look at the games affecting the local sides this past week.



A late Dean Carruthers double secured a point in Greenlaw’s first home game of the season.

It was never going to be an easy game against an experienced West Barns team, but the game started evenly with both sides giving a good account of themselves.

West Barns had the best of the opportunities and after 25 minutes opened the scoring when their striker hit an unstoppable strike from 25 years out.

The visitors again went close, only to see another long range effort hit the post.

Greenlaw’s Mark Long and Chris Black had chances at the other end but failed to convert and at half-time they trailed 0-1.

The second half started well for Greenlaw, William Smillie finding himself with only the keeper to beat on two occasions, but failing to score.

The pressure continued with chances for Black and substitute Carruthers but it was West Barns who broke away and scored a second with 75 minutes played.

Greenlaw never gave up and clawed a goal back when Carruthers smashed home from just inside the box.

With just a couple of minutes remaining it was Carruthers again who made the most of a poor clearance to hit a volley into the top corner from the edge of the area to give Greenlaw a hard earned point.



Duns Reserves made it two wins out of two when they beat Lauder 4-2 away.

The victory lifted the Reserves to second place in the C Division table behind St Boswells.

The four goals were shared around amongst Allen, Lackenby, Dancaster and Steven Burns , who netted with a bullet header.



A double from Jamie Logie gave Eyemouth Amateurs all three points in a keenly fought Berwickshire derby at Warner Park.

The striker, who rejoined his hometownclub from Chirnside United in the summer, put Eyemouth one up at half time and grabbed his second early in the second half.

Coldstream’s reply came from striker Darren Simpson. His penalty was well saved, but Simpson crashed home the rebound off the underside of the crossbar.



This was Chirnside United’s first game of the season and they couldn’t have got off to a worse start with five players out, a host of missed chances and two own goals against a very good side in Leithen Rovers.

Both teams had early chances, but a mixture of poor finishing and good goalkeeping meant there was no score in the first 20 minutes.

Rovers took the lead after a free kick rebounded off the Chirnside wall and was chipped back in for a free header for their No. 10.

Rovers doubled their lead after half an hour with Todd fumbling a free kick into his own net. Adam Smith once again had two great chances to put Chirnside on level terms but again the chance went abegging.

Rovers capitalised once again from those missed chances and scored number three from their No. 8 when he evaded three tackles to slot the ball home.

Chirnside pulled a goal back from a Robert Armstrong cross with Smith making no mistake this time at the back post. Joe Condy had the ball in the net just before half time but the effort was disallowed.

Chirnside came out all guns blazing in the second half and got back in the game on the hour mark with a great individual goal from Armstrong to make it 3-2.

The home side had chances to equalise, but on 80 minutes disaster struck for Chirnside when keeper Todd scuffed a harmless cross into his own net.

This killed off their hopes of a fightback and Rovers held out to the final whistle for all three points.



Brian Tait hit a late winner as Gordon beat ten-man Standard Life in the Scottish Amateur Cup at the weekend.

Tait had given the Berwickshire side an early lead, but in a game which saw three penalty kicks and the visitors had a man sent off, it was a tense affair with the score at 3-3 as the teams entered the final minutes.

Utterson and Porter (penalty) were Gordon’s other scorers, but it was Tait who emerged the match-winner.