Kelso United 4-2 Eyemouth United

For the second week in a row, a poor first half proved costly for Eyemouth as Kelso came out on top in the battle of the Uniteds at Woodside Park. Both teams had a man sent off.

By George Riley
Monday, 4th November 2013, 5:36 pm

The home side started brightly and were 3-0 up at half time with goals from Grant Gass and two from in-form Jordan Lauder.

Eyemouth clawed back to 3-2 with goals from George Windram and Sean Phillips, until Calum McClure made sure of victory for the Tweedsiders with a goal in the last minute.

“The game should have been wrapped up at half time,” said kelso manager Prof Blaikie. “We scored three and hit the post twice before the break, but we never make things easy for ourselves and allowed Eyemouth back in the game in the second half. However, I am pleased with the victory.”

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

The Fishermen almost took the lead after seven minutes when a snap-shot from Fergus Aitchison was spilled by home keeper Elliott Turnbull into the path of Sean Phillips, but the former Kelso man blasted wide.

Kelso took the lead after 10 minutes when Gass picked up a loose ball in midfield and drove a thunderous right foot shot from 25 yards past Eyemouth stationary keeper Adam Mutch.

Mutch was picking the ball out the net again two minutes later. This time it was Lauder who shot from 25 yards, the ball taking a slight deflection off defender Windram on its way into the net.

The visitors had the ball in the net on the half hour when Jonathan Waugh followed up a Windram shot which had been parried by Turnbull, but referee Gavin Thomson ruled the goal offside.

Kelso then came close as a 30-yard left-foot drive from Lauder hit the upright with the keeper beaten. The home side went three up shortly after when a sweeping move down the left paid dividends, Ben Herdman stoked the ball down the flank to Gass, who turned the defence and crossed for Lauder. He ran into the six-yard box to fire home.

Liam Wallace almost had the goal of the season as he slalomed past five Eyemouth players from half way to the edge of the box and unleashed a left-foot shot which hit the post.

The Fishermen got a goal back two minutes into the second half when a corner on the left was floated into the box by James Wilson. When the home defence failed to clear, defender Windram was on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

On the hour mark Kelso were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area. Up stepped Gass. His right-foot shot hit the bar, the rebound striking keeper Mutch on the back of the head and the ball somehow going out for a corner.

Eyemouth reduced the deficit in the 70th minute when Jonathon Brown picked up the ball in midfield and broke a couple of tackles before passing to Sean Phillips, who drove the ball home from the left edge of the six-yard box.

The visitors found themselves down to ten men with 11 minutes remaining as Wilson received his marching orders for a second yellow. The numerical advantage didn’t last too long for the Tweedsiders as Steven Tait was dealt the same fate as he received his second yellow for a tug on Phillips.

Kelso eventually killed the game off in the last minute. A cross on the right by Ryan Beveridge was headed out by the visitors’ defence, however teenager Calum McClure was first to react to the loose ball and turned to sweep the ball into the net.