Junior football round-up

A look at the games featuring local junior football sides.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 9th October 2014, 8:55 am

Berwick U11s 5

Stakeford U11s 5

(Berwick won 5-4 on pens)

Sign up to our daily Berwickshire News Today newsletter

Berwick scraped through to the last eight of the NEYD Cup after a very entertaining match at Old Shielfield.

It was the away side who took the lead with their first attack of the game. Thomas Grey equalised for Berwick after a good move down the side involving himself and Clazie, but it was the away side again who took the lead after some sloppy defending.

Berwick then levelled again through Dominic Peters, tapping in from close range, but again the home defence was caught short and Stakeford added a third to go 3-2 up at the break.

The second half started in much the same manner, but it was the home side who levelled through Larsson Lambert. Five minutes later the same player added a second and Berwick’s fourth to put the ahead for the first time in the tie.

Stakeford then pulled a back to level. Thomas Grey grabbed his second and Berwick’s fifth, but with only two minutes remaining Stakeford deservedly equalised to take the game into extra time.

Extra time came and went with both teams failing to add to their scores and penalties it was.

Gillie, Peters, Lambert, Clazie and Grey all tucked their penalties away and it came down to keeper Matt Hall, who pulled off a fine save from the decisive penalty to put the ‘wee Gers’ through to the last eight in a pulsating game.

Berwick now turn their attention back to league action next Sunday when they are at home to Red House Farm, who are sitting second in the league.

Berwick U15s 2

Cramlington Whites 1

After conceding six goals last week Berwick went on to produce their best performance of the season and knock high flying Cramlington Whites out the NEYD Cup.

Berwick got off to the worst possible start when they conceded after just six minutes when Davison’s underhit back pass was intercepted and tucked away.

Things went from bad to worse a minute later when Meakin conceded a penalty but Benzies came to Berwick’s rescue with a fine low diving save to his left.

Berwick worked hard as a team and were awarded a penalty of their own when Kantas was crudely brought down in the box and Bloomfield made no mistake from the spot to bring the tie level.

A minute later and Berwick were ahead after Kantas skipped past three defenders at full pace to steer the ball past the oncoming keeper.

Berwick went close in the next attack when Bloomfield tried his luck with a quickly taken free kick from 25 yards that the keeper did well to save.

With half time approaching Benzies pulled off an amazing one handed save to flick a goalbound shot over the bar but the last chance of the half fell to Briggs after Kantas played him in but his shot went wide of the near post.

Cramlington came out in determined fashion and within 30 seconds Benzies punched away a screamer for a corner and a minute later the lively Muckle was back clearing an effort from his own goalmouth as Berwick had to dig in.

Strang produced a moment of magic to relieve the pressure when he spotted the keeper off his line and let fly from 30 yards but his effort just cleared the bar.

Berwick forced a series of free kicks and Windram and Bloomfield both forced good saves out of the keeper but they really should have extended their lead with 15 minutes remaining when Windram’s shot was spilled to Jones who sliced his effort wide of the post from ten yards out.

Cramlington looked to have a lifeline a minute later when they seemed certain to score but Davison somehow managed to get back and pull off a perfectly timed tackle to thwart the attacker.

Berwick survived a late scare deep into injury time when Cramlington had the ball in the net but the goal was flagged offside and Berwick now face Alnwick Town in the quarter finals.