Junior football round-up

editorial image

A look at the junior football action.

Berwick U11s 3

Heaton Hawks 0

Berwick went into this game knowing nothing less than a win would be acceptable if they wanted to still be in with a chance of winning the league.

Both teams started off playing some good attractive football but it was the away side who had a few clear cut chances in the first half and some great saves from the Berwick goalkeeper, Matt Hall, kept the home side in the game.

But it was Berwick who opened the scoring from a corner which was delivered by Larsson Lambert and it was slotted into the back of the net with a fine diving header from Thomas Grey.

In the second half Berwick doubled their lead through some sublime link up play from Clazie, Grey and Lambert, who slotted it into the net to make it 2-0.

Berwick then started to take control of the game and after some more great work from the midfield it was Clazie who broke away down the left and weaved his way through to square the ball across the box for Lambert to slot it in the back of the net to get his second of the match and complete the scoring.

This was a good all round performance from Berwick and keeps them in contention to win the league after one of the big chasers behind them dropped points. Only one game left for the season and that is next week against North Shields Juniors at Old Shielfield.

Morpeth 1

Berwick U13s 2

Unbeaten Berwick travelled to fourth placed Morpeth on Sunday.

Chances were few and far between in the early exchanges with both defences holding firm and it was Morpeth who broke the deadlock mid-way through the first half with a well taken goal on the break.

Berwick responded with wave after wave of attacks only for the Morpeth defence to keep them at bay. However, Berwick soon equalised when a Daniel Lowe cross-shot found the back of the net to make it 1-1 at half-time.

Berwick continued to dominate in the second half but again were finding the Morpeth defence hard to break down. This was until skilful midfielder Miguel Freire latched onto a lose ball and found the back of the net from 20 yards to make it 2-1 to Berwick.

Berwick had further chances to increase their lead only for their pacy strike duo of Ben Amers and Jamie Robertson each to be harshly flagged offside when through on goal.

Berwick U15s 2

Amble 1

Berwick progressed to the final of the NEYD Cup, but a combination of high winds and a well organised Amble outfit meant the outcome went down to the final whistle.

Chances were created and missed at both ends in the early stages and Murray was unlucky with a header which struck the bar.

A much improved Berwick began the second half with far more purpose and Briggs,Jones, Bloomfield and Kantas all tested the keeper in the first ten minutes of the restart.

Windram gave Berwick the lead when he struck a powerful free kick that took a cruel deflection to score with the keeper totally wrong footed.

Bloomfield had a great chance to double Berwick’s lead moments later when he met Windram’s corner with a far post header but it was blocked on the line by a defender’s chest.

With time running out Ruddick squandered two clear cut chances to kill the tie off but missed the target from close range with both and Berwick were punished when Moore gave away a clumsy free kick on the right wing and Amble equalised when Benzies pushed the free kick out and it fell right at the feet of an Amble player who tapped home from close range.

With the game deep into injury time and seemingly heading for extra time Windram somehow pounced in a packed goalmouth to grab his second goal when he flicked his effort past a crowd of players to secure Berwick’s place in the Cup Final in a dramatic ending.