It proves to be a really gr-eight day for Dingers

editorial image

Duns 8 
Selkirk Victoria 0

After five previous attempts to play against Selkirk Victoria, Duns romped home with a comfortable win in this first round Sanderson Cup tie.

Taking the game to the visitors, Sean Spoors opened the scoring in nine minutes.

Top scorer Sean Robertson added the second in 13 minutes after a thunderbolt of a strike from Douglas Allen was stopped by the keeper and the ball fell to Robertson, who duly dispatched it into the roof of the net.

A well-worked goal was added on the 19th minute –keeper Anderson threw the ball to left-sided defender Zak Todd, whose pass took out two defenders for Robertson to run on to and net his second and Duns’ third.

A Selkirk player got a yellow card on 23 minutes and then there was a double sending off on 37 minutes. One was a sub in the technical area for abusive language towards referee Cairns and the second for a player committing the same offence.

Three minutes into the restart Graeme Tait made it four, with Robertson completing his hat-trick in the 51st minute.

Duns continued to dominate and dictate play, making a double substitution in the 64th minute, Ross Hutchison replacing Todd and Kieron Renton on for Tait.

Ten-man Selkirk did create chances from corner kicks but failed to capitalise.

Good attacking football down the left from Mo Ponton and Hutchison saw James Brydon put his name on the scoresheet with a well-struck shot from close range.

With continuous pressure, the last five minutes saw Robertson get his fourth and a well-deserved eighth was added by Ponton in the dying minutes.

This was a great performance from Duns considering this was only their fifth game since the New Year. The Dingers are away in the quartier-final.

Next week it is back to league duty with an away game at Selkirk and five points are still required from three games to assure promotion.

One game is left to play at NHP and that is against Lauder which is still to be arranged.